Monday, June 7, 2021

Worthy

 

The word “worthy is defined as: Deserving; such as merits; having worth or excellence; equivalent; with of, before the thing deserved. Possessing worth or excellence of qualities; virtuous; estimable. Suitable; having qualities suited to. This week, Michael asks: Is it worth it to dedicate my life to Christ? What in this life is worthy? What is really valuable? Jesus set an example of what is really worthwhile in this life with which God has blessed us.

When Mary washed Jesus’ feet with precious ointment, Judas Iscariot questioned if this was a good use of this valuable perfume. Then Jesus rebuked him ... implying that there is nothing really worthy but to humble yourselves in His service, he said that Mary was preparing Jesus body ointment, signifying his death and burial. The disciples didn’t understand the value of Jesus’ bearing the sins of the world and his death on their and our behalf.

In God’s economy, the wages of sin is death. We’re all dead in trespasses and sins, subject to the worldly lusts that we inherited from Adam’s fallen nature by which we continue to sin against God. However, in God’s economy, Jesus Christ, because of His great love wherewith He loved us, exchanged His innocent life in exchange for our guilty lives. As the perfect atoning sacrifice for sin on our behalf, He who was without sin became sin for us that we may be made the righteousness of God in Him.

In John 14, Jesus said to his disciples, “I go to prepare a place for you. For where I am there you will be also. Thomas said, How can we know the way? They didn’t yet understand the things of the spirit ... they could not yet see from a spiritual perspective for they had not yet received the gift of the Holy Spirit. Jesus explained to Thomas, “You don’t know the way? I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father except by me.”

The Apostle Peter said, “Lord even though the world will forsake you, I’ll never forsake you.” Jesus said, before the cock crows twice you shall deny me three times. Peter had to learn a difficult lesson that in his own strength he was powerless against the darkness of this world.

Why did Jesus sacrifice himself on the Cross? Our Sin. What shall wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. I’m not a sinner because I sin ... I sin because I’m a sinner. Sin is the nature that was born in your and my flesh. As the Apostle Paul said, in my flesh dwelleth no good thing. I’m forgiven from sin not because of my goodness, but because God’s goodness grace and mercy. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. (John 3:16-17)

Even while we were dead in trespasses and sins. He who was without sin paid my debt of sin with His innocent righteous blood shed on my behalf. My sin causes me to be fearful, timid instead of fearless and bold. The descriptors in 2 Timothy 3:2-5 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 describe my sin nature. The nature of sin is in pride and self-sufficiency ... to glory in myself. However, despite my sinful nature, 1 Corinthians 6:10 confirms that “where sin abounded, grace abounded all the more:” “And such were some of you: but you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.”

Romans 7 says, wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this dead body? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. Romans 8 continues, There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

What’s good about Good Friday? The greatest good was done on that day. For He who was without sin became the perfect sacrifice for sin on our behalf that we may be made the righteousness of God in Him. The grace of God is amazing grace, in that while we were dead in trespasses and sins, Christ died for the ungodly.

The devil and his minions will do anything to get rid of the truth of God and Jesus Christ, His word made manifest. On the day that Jesus was crucified, the devil thought he had cancelled God’s plan of redemption. However, what men and the devil meant for evil, God meant for good. On Good Friday, Jesus paid the price to ransom all who were held in captivity to sin and death.

What’s good about Good Friday? At the cross, Jesus led captivity captive ... He cancelled the sin, which cancelled the devil’s right to enslave us in sin and death. What shall wash away my sin? What shall make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. O blessed is the flow that makes me white as snow. No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus.

What is our life worth? Our heavenly Father has redeemed us and purchased us with the precious payment of His Son’s innocent blood. “For you are bought with a price: therefore, glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's”, that we may ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!


Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: