Thursday, October 17, 2019

Fear the Lord – Part 2



Continuing Michael's message on the "Fear of the Lord", he points out that in the conversion of Roman African, early Christian theologian and Neoplatonic philosopher from Numidia - Saint Augustine of Hippo, he said that after he had come to Christ, the prostitute that he had frequented saw him and called out to him, "Augie, it's me."  Augustine's reply was, "but it's no longer me.  I'm no longer the man that I was."  When we're redeemed, God has made us a new creation. However, the renewing of the mind according to our new nature is the result of deliberate and intentional action. According to Romans 12:1-2, “I beseech you therefore brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice holy and acceptable unto him which is your reasonable act of worship.  And be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

The key to walking in fellowship is to renew our minds according to the truth of the Word of God.  The Word says of itself, “meditate upon these things”. Commit thyself wholly to them that thy profiting may appear unto all.  According to Philippians 4:8, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

Jeremiah 1:5-9 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.” Then said I: “Ah, Lord God!
Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.” But the Lord said to me: “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,” says the Lord. Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.”

God said to Jeremiah, Don't say that you can't speak because I'll do the speaking through you, I'll put my words in your mouth. We all have a testimony. A testimony is the declaration of a witness, and evidence is the effect of that declaration on the mind, or the degree of light which it affords. Testimony is an affirmation; declaration. An open attestation; a profession. Christians have all had a life changing encounter with the risen Christ.  He has made us able ministers of the New Testament.  He has made us worthy of His testimony and we're the only bible that some people will ever read. The Lord has given us grace to walk in His strength that we would reflect His glory.

Bible Commentator Matthew Henry said that many a man and woman recognizes that their worst handicap is their own self. By grace God has given us the gift of His Holy Spirit. Therefore I was crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me, and the life that I now live I live by the faith of Him who loved me and gave Himself for me.

The liberty that we have in Christ is the work of the kingdom of Heaven and to serve one another in love. According to Proverbs, a person's gift makes room for Jesus and brings Him before great men. We're called to deliver the message of the gospel of salvation through Christ. We're called to "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling" ... to realize our incompleteness and to realize God's wholeness, with meekness and fear, awe, respect, and love. For it is God who works in you to will and to do of his good pleasure.

We're most like the people we spend time with. We gather together with likeminded men and women so that we can build each other up. According to 1 Corinthians 15:33, bad company corrupts good morals.  Therefore as Psalm 1:1-3 says..... “Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Israel’s King Solomon, was known for his wisdom. At the end of his discussion of the duty of mankind in the book of Ecclesiastes 12:13, he wrote by inspiration:  “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” As we fear God by loving Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, may we ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!

Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: