Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Realities of Death and Doubt – Part 2



Psalm 91:1-11 “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.” Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you. Only with your eyes shall you look, and see the reward of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place, No evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways.”

Continuing Pastor Kyle’s message, he asked, when people are troubled, so we bring comfort to them or unhelpful questions. This side of heaven, there are many things that bring discomfort to our souls; our mortality being one of them. We need to make an godly impact for the Lord in our world in light of it. A couple things we all need to continually remind ourselves about doubts. (1) Believing in faith and following Jesus as a devoted disciple, we are going to get into heaven. Death equates to being with Jesus. When we go down, we go up. To give hope, the item hoped for must be real and grounded in reality. Heaven is a real place where we spend eternity with the Lord; the perfect place with no sin, no troubles, no fears, no tears and no doubts. 

In John 14:4-10 Jesus said, “And where I go you know, and the way you know.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. “If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.”

(2) Even the most devout saints (those who have been sanctified) doubt and struggle. It is what we do with our doubts that determine whether we sink our faith or re-build it on the rock-solid foundation of Christ. We need to ask more constructive questions than destructive questions. In Mark 9:23-24, Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” Hasn’t Jesus Christ proven Himself as Savior and Lord or does He need to show us more? Can we truly look at everything Jesus did for us and say “not quite enough”? Satan sows the seed of doubt.  Doubt is contagious and spreads like wildfire, negatively impacting those around you..

Romans 12:1-2 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

Ask “how a just and holy God save me?” “Who am I that Almighty God would love and save me?” God is the all-powerful eternal Creator of all. It’s humbling to realize that we are unable to reach God in heaven on our own, so God reached down and gave us a Savior. Blaise Pascal once stated the wager that everyone makes about faith: “If I do not believe in God and there is no God, there is nothing lost. If I believe in God and there is no God, there is nothing lose? But, if I do not believe in God and there is a God, there is everything to lose eternally, and if I do believe in God and there is a God, there is everything to gain eternally.” The point is that we have everything to gain by responding in faith and absolutely nothing to lose. You will benefit by believing God by faith and doing what He says in the Word of God. Believe God and believe Jesus. Hope has a name; His name is Jesus. We have victory in Him alone and He is calling your name.

 In Christ, Brian

No comments: