Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Rise Up Oh Men and Women of God – Part 1

Lake Plitvice Croatia National Park, Croatia

This week, Michael writes: The lyrics of an old hymn “Lift high the cross” says, "Rise up oh men of God. Tread where His feet have trod.  As brothers and sisters of the Son of Man rise up oh men and women of God. The Bible tells us and the actual lives of everyone show that people seek pleasure in the lusts of the flesh and the pride of life. Worldly happiness in this world is fleeting happiness in this world is fleeting. These ephemeral pleasures last only for a moment. 

Matthew 16:26 “For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

However, when we delight ourselves in the Lord, he will give us the desires of our heart. The things done outside of the spirit of God will come to naught only that which is done in Christ. Our credentials are in Christ. The Apostle Paul said, that which you have heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit you unto faithful men who shall be able to teach others also. We're to pass what we've learned of the Word of God to faithful men, women and children.  Jesus said, in order to follow me, you have to count the cost. Unless you leave mother, father, sister, and brother Jesus said, you cannot follow me. The meaning is that we must count the cost of being a disciple. There is a cost, and that is the point of the passage. What's the cost of following him? In order to be a disciple, we must be willing to give up everything for Jesus. But, it's not about the cost, it's about the value. What is it that you value most? Jesus said, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.” 

John 14:23-27 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loves me not keeps not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

Jesus said, "I have to leave so that the Holy Spirit can come."  John 16:7  “Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” The Holy Spirit is the Comforter, the one who comes alongside to help. The Holy Spirit will lead you to the all truth. The Holy Spirit reveals the truth of the Word of God. 


How do you pass the word to faithful men and women?  You have to receive it in order to pass it on.  According to Luke 6:45, “Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.” When we saturate our hearts with God’s holy Word, then He will use our words and actions to teach others the truth of His word. Jesus said in Luke 9:23-25, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?”

Let's continue Michael's message on Christian living in the next post.
In Christ, Brian

No comments: