Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Finishing Well



2 Timothy 4:6-8 “For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”

This week, Michael writes: Our ministry is to create an environment where the Holy Spirit can come help himself to our lives. The Apostle Paul said in Philippians 2:17, "I am poured out on the altar as a drink offering.  (As a sweet smelling savor unto God.)"  In 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (above), Paul emphasizes the importance of finishing well. In Corinthians Paul said by inspiration, I eagerly await the day when I shall be clothed with a new body at Christ's return.  Each journey has a finish line. We have to plan to finish well and to celebrate the fulfillment of God's plan. To finish well we need to prepare our hearts to have the right attitude when we cross the finish line.

2 Corinthians 5:4 “For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.”

Every loving relationship in this life will end in pain and lose except for one. Jesus said, "I will never leave you or forsake you."  Our times are in God's hands. God is sovereign and we're not. Our planning for the pain and tribulation of life will allow us to focus on the crown of righteousness that God has in store for us. The devil will use pain to question the love, mercy and grace of God. However through pain and tribulation, we will learn that tribulation works patience and patience experience and experience hope and hope makes not ashamed because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit which is given to us. Through pain we will learn, as did the Apostle Paul, that when I am weak in myself then I am strong in Him.

Life is more precious the less of it you have. It's precious because it's rare. During these precious weeks with close friends and family we focused on what was the most important.  Our challenge is to thank God for this day he has given us. Regardless of how we feel or the pain and tribulation of life, as the Apostle Paul said, "I press toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." To finish well, focus on the crown of righteousness that he has prepared for us. From the lyrics of an old hymn of the faith, "All my trophies at last I lay down.  I will cling to the Old Rugged Cross, and exchange it one day for a crown."

In finishing well, may we ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!
Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: