Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Part of That World

  

Matthew 16:26 “For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

 

Britannica defines the American Dream as the ideal that the United States is a land of opportunity that allows the possibility of upward mobility, freedom, and equality for people of all classes who work hard and have the will to succeed. That is true but there must be balance without greed or thievery, and God’s Word, Will and Way involved. The roots of the American Dream lie in the goals and aspirations of the first European settlers and colonizers. Most of these people came  to the North American continent to escape tyranny, religious and political persecution, or poverty. The purposes of God for our life and the “end game” are the true goals. 1 Timothy 6:6-7 tells us that “godliness actually is a source of great gain when accompanied by contentment [that contentment which comes from a sense of inner confidence based on the sufficiency of God]. For we have brought nothing into the world, so it is clear that we cannot take anything out of it, either.” There are no U-Haul trailers behind a Hearse. You cannot take it with you when you go, so what are you living for really?


 

I remember a friend who spent his life running to one thing after another that he believed would bring him happiness. But, he found that once he achieved the possession which he was striving for, “the thrill of the chase” was gone, so he’d immediately find something else he desired and start striving to possess. The Little Mermaid Ariel said it well: “Look at this stuff; Isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete? Wouldn't you think I'm the girl, the girl who has everything? Look at this trove; Treasures untold. How many wonders can one cavern hold? Looking around here you'd think, Sure, she's got everything. I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty. I've got whozits and whatzits galore. You want thingamabobs? I've got twenty! But who cares? No big deal. I want more!" It reminds me of when John D. Rockefeller, the world’s first billionaire, answered the question, “How much is enough?” with “Just a little bit more!” He, unknowingly, made a profound statement about the sin nature of the human condition. Our minds are wired to want. There is never enough. We want more.

 

In Luke 12:15-21 the Lord Jesus warns, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ “So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” Where is your heart? Luke 12:34, rightfully states: “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

 

Yesterday, I received an unfounded threat from an irate relative who literally has a net-worth in the multi-millions of dollars over an issue concerning a tiny amount of inheritance in comparison which they demanded in advance. Why? It reminds me of Israel’s wise King Solomon’s conclusion on the pursuit of worldly riches in Ecclesiastes 6:2 “God gives some people great wealth and honor and everything they could ever want, but then he doesn’t give them the chance to enjoy these things. They die, and someone else, even a stranger, ends up enjoying their wealth! This is meaningless—a sickening tragedy.” Acquiescence in life is found in godliness, holiness, righteousness, the pursuit of God and a life pursuing the godly American Dream while following Christ, which produces a quiet assent; a silent submission, and a life with apparent content in all. Be discontented with anything else. Because, one day I want to be strolling along down the, what's that word again? Streets of Heaven. Up where they walk, up where they run; Up where they stay all day with the Son. Wanderin' free, wish I could be, Part of that World. 


In Christ, Brian

No comments: