Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Two Cities

Signs along my path... - By LightSpectral [Ismanah photography] | Winter  scenes, Winter beauty, Winter wonder

In our Small Group study is on the topic of “The Birth of Freedom”. This sessions question is asked: How did St. Augustine of Hippo advance the cause of Liberty?  The video series speaker gives an interest answer to that Question. The early Christian church Fathers were gifted by God to see and understand spiritual truth that guided our physical existence, aligned with divine instruction and purpose. 

Aurelius Augustinus (November 13, 354 – 28 August 28, 430 AD) was a theologian and philosopher of Berber origin and the bishop of Hippo Regiusin in Numidia, Roman North Africa. When the Western Roman Empire began to disintegrate, Augustine imagined the Church as a spiritual City of God, distinct from the material Earthly City of Man. That here are two Realms – The City of Man and the City of God. These are two sets of authority to obey in life, though they are not always in agreement. The city of Man, inhabited by Rulers and the political process. The city of God is where Believers abide, where God rules and His Truth is the Law. People are co-citizens of both cities, but the Rulers of the city of Man never have the final word, the final say, or make the final declaration of what is “right”, what is “wrong”, and how the people are to live. Why?

 

“The history of Man” always points to the triumph of Almighty God over sin. “The City of Man” points to triumph and dominance of man. But, human Rulers are limited to their plot of land; their kingdom only (the king’s domain). Creator God is the Ruler of the Universe and the universal story, because He is the ultimate Giver of all Rights, Liberty and Freedom. We live in a physical, material world that was created, is sustained and under the sovereign authority of it Maker. With man we live, but in God we trust to whom we have liberty.


Job 37:12-14 “They swirl about, being turned by His guidance, that they may do whatever He commands them on the face of the whole earth. He causes it to come, whether for correction, or for His land, or for mercy. Listen to this, O Job; Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.”

 

Augustine later wrote an account of his conversion in his "Confessions", which has since become a classic book of Christian theology. I have a copy on my bookshelf that I plan to read shortly. The following is taken from that work: Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there. Unlovely, I rushed heedlessly among the lovely things thou hast made. Thou wast with me, but I was not with thee. These things kept me far from thee; even though they were not at all unless they were in thee. Thou didst call and cry aloud, and didst force open my deafness. Thou didst gleam and shine, and didst chase away my blindness. Thou didst breathe fragrant odors and I drew in my breath; and now I pant for thee. I tasted, and now I hunger and thirst. Thou didst touch me, and I burned for thy peace.

 

Aligned in Christ within the City of God, Brian

No comments: