Monday, October 3, 2022

Motive - Part 1

This week, Michael writes: In Luke 4, Jesus was tempted by the devil in the wilderness. The devil took him up to a high mountain and showed him all of the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. He said to Jesus, all this will I give you if you will bow down and worship me, for it was delivered to me and I will give it to whomsoever I will. Adam had transferred the power and dominion over the world to the devil when he committed the original sin. Jesus responded to the devil’s offer, Thou shall worship the Lord thy God and Him only shalt thou serve. Jesus made it clear that we must worship and serve God only. The question is whom do you serve? Why are you doing what you’re doing? What is the motive behind your action?  

God will humble us to teach us to learn humility and to serve Him from a heart of love. This is a hard lesson to learn. Jesus said, whoever humbles himself as a child will be the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven. In Mark 9and Mark 12, Jesus said, whoever wishes to be great among you must be servant of all. Then In Luke 9 Jesus said, the Son of Man must suffer many things … if anyone wishing to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake shall save it. In the Upper Room Jesus said to the twelve disciples after he had washed the disciples’ feet, if I’ve washed your feet you shall also wash one anthers’ feet.

After Peter had denied Jesus three times, he went back to his fishing business. Then after His resurrection, Jesus went to the shore of the Sea of Galilee where the disciples had returned. They didn’t recognize Him. Jesus called out, have you caught any fish? They answered, No. Then He said, cast your net on the other side of the boat. They did this and caught so many fish that they couldn’t haul the net full of fish aboard the boat. They dragged the net toward the shore. John recognized Jesus and said to Simon Peter, “It’s the Lord”. Peter jumped into the water and swam to shore to meet Jesus. Jesus was roasting fish on hot coals for breakfast.

Jesus asked Peter, do you love me with “agape” love of God more than these? Peter said, I love you like a brother. Jesus said, feed my little lambs. Then Jesus asked Peter again, Peter do you love me with the Love of God? Again Peter said, you know that I love you like a brother. Jesus said, feed my sheep. Jesus asked a third time, Peter do you love me with brotherly love? Peter was grieved because Jesus kept asking him if he loved him. Peter answered, Lord, you know all things. You know that I love you the only way I know how. I love you like a brother. Jesus said, feed my sheep.

Jesus taught Peter that if you’re serving without the love of God, you will not endure. You will burn out if you serve for any other reason. Jesus knew what was in the heart of man. Jesus himself said, “I came to give my life as a ransom for many. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have ever lasting life.” Jesus came not to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved.

Let's continue Michael's mess on "motives" in the next post. In Christ, Brian




 

No comments: