Tuesday, January 11, 2022

A New You in ’22 – Part 1

 Snow Covered Tree Branch

I wasn’t able to post Michael’s New Year’s message last week, but it is a timeless message really, so let’s take a look at what he has to say to us all. This week, Michael writes that the God-rejecting secular world teaches us to “look out for number one.” Rugged individualism is a hallmark of so-called “American exceptionalism.” However, exceptionalism according to Jesus is self-less and not self-ish.” 

The humanistic world says to seek our own selfish desires when our so-called human rights are violated. However, be careful ... any fool can claim their “rights” and any demon will make sure they get them. Jesus said, don’t think little of yourselves, instead think nothing of yourselves ... Set your affections on things above, not on things of this world. For in my flesh dwelleth no good thing. The root of the problem is the insidious preoccupation with self. The “kingdom of self” is heavily defended territory. After the Lord Jesus had taught his disciples about the beatitudes, Jesus said, You have heard it said, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.... However, If someone slaps you on the cheek, then turn the other cheek. The focus is not on the humanistic world’s natural reaction to recompense evil for evil, but to actively pursue the spirit of God’s love, mercy, and grace with Christ’s heart behind our heart.  

In every choice we face we consider two questions. The first is what will I get out of this decision? The second is, what will it cost me? If a person makes a decision out of selfish motives, they will soon quit. However, if it’s done for the good of those we love, then the commitment will persist. Service to others is learned in the crucible of life. 
Christian evangelist and the director of the Ashley Down orphanage in BristolEngland, George Müller said, I recall the day that I died unto myself. From that day on, I strived to hold myself accountable only to my Lord Jesus Christ. As Galatians 2:20 says, “I was crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me, and the life I now live, I live by faith in the son of God who loved me and gave himself for me.” The Lord Jesus said, blessed are the poor in spirt and those who mourn over the sins that separated our hearts from Gods hearts. Blessed are the meek ... those who are humble to receive God’s instruction in righteousness. In an upside-down world, face the problem of self by forgetting self and pressing toward the mark of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

In the Roman empire times, a Roman soldier could require any person in the empire to carry his pack one mile. This was required by Roman law. However, Jesus said, if a Roman soldier compels you to carry his pack, then carry his pack a second mile also. The first mile is of obligation. The second is from a heart of love of God. Jesus said, in love serve one another. 


Let's continue Michael's message on a new you in the next post.

In Christ, Brian

No comments: