Friday, August 2, 2019

God's Rescue



Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”

When we understand and know who our Heavenly father, Creator, Almighty God truly is, then we need to keep our vision and mind focused o that reality. Light, Salvation and Strength: these are familiar terms within the Psalms, often glossed over because of their frequent use. Light is often associated with truth throughout the Psalms. But it also indicates the provision of clarity and understanding, and even favor with God.

Psalm 61:3 “For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy.”

I read that this psalm is a song of joy about God’s marvelous deliverance and may very well demand the broadest application possible. The Lord does provide truth for me as I search His Word—and sometimes that truth just pops into my head and heart when I most need it. He surely grants clarity and understanding to me. That is the primary ministry of the Holy Spirit on my behalf. And who can ignore the favor we receive in our salvation?

Psalm 107:2 “Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He has redeemed from the hand of the enemy.”

The “rescue” of the Psalms is often set in terms of a military rescue, but it is also applicable to the eternal rescue from sin that is the ultimate focus of the Word. In Psalm 18:2, God is said to be the horn of our salvation. In Psalm 18:35, a shield. In Psalm 89:26, the rock. In Psalm 140:7, our strength.  As well as my joy in Psalm 51:12 and my truth in Psalm 69:13.

Psalm 18:17 “He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me.”

These descriptions draw a picture of protection, as does the phrase “strength of my life” in Psalm 27:1. It is consistently used in the Psalms of a rock or fortress that provides safety from enemy attack. All of these settings emphasize the often sudden and unexpected rescue of God’s people from sure defeat at the hands of an enemy. And the ultimate rescue: Luke 19:10 “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

Blessings to you all.
Today is my 63rd birthday.

No comments: