Thursday, May 30, 2019

Steadfast 2 - Part 1


1 Corinthians 15:57-58 “But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.”

The trusted 1828 Webster’s Dictionary defines the word “Steadfast” as: Fast fixed; firm; firmly fixed or established; or constant; firm; resolute; not fickle or wavering. They week, Michael continues with part two of his message on steadfastness. He write that character is built through steadfastness through the trials of life. Thank God for godly fathers and godly mothers who molded and shaped our character in our formative years. 

How do we become steadfast and what does that mean?  In order to stand steadfast in Him, God will need to crush the “self” out of ourselves. Through trials He will teach us that we really have no control over our lives. We're not the masters of our own circumstances ... God himself is Sovereign overall. Anything I have is all of grace and none of me. For by grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast.

Every man and woman reaches a fork in the road of life where they must decide what is more important: try to please God or to trust God. The road that says Please God leads to a gathering of people where everyone seems to be having fun. When you approach the guest table, they hand you a mask. A banner on the wall says, "I'm working on conquering my sin to live a better life." However, if we could conquer our own sin, then Jesus Christ would not have needed to pay the price on our behalf. A performance-based Christian lifestyle will leave us frustrated and defeated. Many men and women leave the church in shame because they're tired of lying to themselves and others. Shame says “you don't give enough, serve enough, pray enough, study enough, or love enough”. When you become discouraged trying to please God and others, you slip out the back in shame and guilt. When you return to the fork in the road, you take the other road that says “Trust God”. This road leads to a house full of messy but honest people. They know that they are sinners saved by grace. In this room they live in the liberty wherewith Christ has set them free. In this room God says, "I love you and I even like you. When I see you, I see the righteousness of my son Jesus Christ. There is nothing that you could ever do to keep me from loving you. By trusting me, you will learn to love me by spending time in my presence and abiding with me and within me."

The secular world doesn't teach us what it means to be a man or woman of God. The world teaches that men and women must work for their own salvation from sin. However, salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. You cannot earn your way to Heaven. Grace is all of Thee Lord God and none of me. We are all guilty as charged of sin before a righteous and holy God. However God intervened with His mercy and grace. For The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ, His Son.

The fifteenth chapter of 1 Corinthians shows us the foundation of remaining steadfast. We're steadfast and unmovable because we have the hope of the resurrection. Because Jesus Christ conquered the grave when God raised Him from the dead and we can rejoice in the hope of His return. Our new life in Christ is the witness of our resurrected Lord. In 2 Timothy 4:7-8, Paul said in his farewell address: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”  

Let's continue Michael's message of "steadfastness" in the next post.
In Christ, Brian

No comments: