Sunday, May 5, 2019

Epistle of Joy – Part 2


 Michael continues that the next question is "How do I feed the good dog?" The answer is in Romans 7:25-8:2"I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” The way to stop sinning is to "walk in (according to) the spirit and you shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh."

In Philippians 1:8-10, Paul reminded them of his love for them.  “For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; that you may approve things that are excellent”

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me all you who are labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  Romans 5:20says that where sin abounded grace abounds all the more. The devil is the deceiver and the accuser of mankind. He will remind us that in our flesh dwelleth no good thing. However, there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. Our righteousness is not in the power of our own good, but only in His goodness through the power of his Holy Spirit. If we condemn ourselves for sinning, then we hold ourselves to a different standard than God's standard of grace and mercy. There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ, for in Christ we have been made righteous. This is the good news of the gospel of Grace.

According to Philippians 1:18, “But I would you should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel; For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” 

Paul said that whether I live or die, my purpose is for the furtherance of the gospel. For I was crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me and the life that I now live I live by faith in the son of God who loved me and gave himself for me. Paul knew that regardless of the circumstances of life, all things are for the good news of the gospel of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. According to Romans 8, "all things work together for (His and our) good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

Regardless of our circumstances, all things are according to His purpose. His purpose is the furtherance of the gospel. God is still Sovereign over all. Our commitment to the gospel is to allow our lives to "be as it becometh the gospel of Christ." Our mission is to create an environment where the Holy Spirit can come help himself to our lives. We gather together to fan one another’s flame. Philippians 2:15-16is the basis for our joy and rejoicing: “That you may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither labored in vain.”

May we ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!
Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: