Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Good Shepherd – Part 2



Continuing Michael’s message, he writes that according to Hebrews 12:2, “He who for the joy (of your salvation and mine) that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The third type who rejoice when the shepherd finds the lost sheep is the shepherd himself. When the shepherd finds the lost sheep, he rejoices and (4) invites his friends to rejoice with him. This is the key to continuing in fellowship in the household of faith. Likewise, when lost sheep return to Christ, this is a time of celebration and rejoicing … “for he who was lost is found.” Heaven also rejoices when a sinner repents and comes to Christ.

Many people remember the exact moment of their repentance and salvation. We’re saved because we were called by the shepherd. Jesus said, my sheep hear my voice and they know me. They follow me and I give unto them eternal life. Salvation is an example of grace. For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast. The call of God is an exclusive call. Only those who know their shepherd follow their shepherd. No one follows someone that they do not know. The shepherd’s sheep recognize their shepherd’s voice. They know that when they are cast down, helpless, and vulnerable to the attacks of the enemy, the shepherd will deliver them.

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
This is the hope of heaven.

In this life, we can guard our hearts to keep an attitude of awe and gratitude, for the Lord is good, His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations. We’ve been called by the Good Shepherd to “feed the flock of God, which is among you.” He has made us able ministers of the New Testament. Grace is caught and not taught. Jesus Christ himself is our example of God’s grace. When we spend time in His presence walking according the way that He has fore-ordained for us, then we can show others what it means to walk in fellowship with the Good Shepherd. “For what does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.

May we ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!
Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: