Saturday, December 29, 2018

The Gospel Call – Part 2


Michael continues that in Philippians 1:12, Paul mentioned his circumstances as he wrote this letter bound in a prison in Rome, saying: “But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel.”

Despite the circumstances in which we find ourselves and the tribulations of this world, our joy and rejoicing is in the furtherance of the gospel. Joy is not the absence of pain, rather joy is the presence of the Lord, for Jesus said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  We can abide with Him and within Him despite the circumstances of this world.

Paul's joy was the same joy that Jesus had when he spread the message of the “good news” of redemption unto salvation. Jesus Christ, for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. His joy was your salvation and mine. His purpose was to redeem us; for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:13-14 “So that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

Paul taught the message of salvation to the Roman guards in prison. From this place, the gospel spread as they taught others within their own spheres of influence. From the world's perspective, Paul was chained to a palace guard. However, from God's perspective, Paul was a bond-slave of his Lord Jesus Christ. He willingly "chained" himself to his Lord by the bond of love.

Through the lens of the gospel, God works all things together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose.  The purpose of our calling is summarized in verse 27: “Only let your conversation (manner of living) be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.”

When we walk according to God's calling, our conversation or manner of living is the good news of the gospel of Christ. God has called us as His "living epistles." We're the only bible some people will ever read. We're God's love letters known and read of all men and women.  Written not with ink or on tablets of stone, but in the fleshly tables of our hearts.

Paul's theme of this first chapter of Philippians is in verse 21,"For me to live is Christ and to die is gain." The greatest joy is to let your life "be as it becometh the gospel of Christ."  As Paul wrote in Galatians 2:20, "I was crucified with Christ.  Nevertheless, I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me and the life that I now live, I live by faith in the one who loved me and gave himself for me."

Our calling and our vocation is this:  "Give 'em heaven!"
May we ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!
Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: