Sunday, December 9, 2018

Lessons of Faithfulness – Part 2



Luke 1:18-23  And Zacharias said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.” And the angel answered and said to him, “I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring you these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.” And the people waited for Zacharias, and marveled that he lingered so long in the temple. But when he came out, he could not speak to them; and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the temple, for he beckoned to them and remained speechless. So it was, as soon as the days of his service were completed, that he departed to his own house. 

The third lesson from the forgotten side of obedience to consider is: (3) We need to be mindful about our reactions to God and to people. When we don’t respond properly to God, it creates frustrations, makes the journey rougher along the way, and harder for us as things progress. Remember that doubt was the “original” sin. When disappointment and dissatisfaction creep into our lives, we shouldn’t ignore it, pretend that it is not there or sweep it under the rug. Be real about it, but in a safe environment.

1 John 5:3 “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.”

What does a Divine breakthrough look like in our life? First, Divine breakthroughs are ushered in when we stay faithful and obedient to the instructions that we already have from God.  We tend to want God to give  us clear signs and messages in extravagant ways, but the vast majority of our instructions for life are already here. Trust God’s holy Word, be faithful in your spirit-led walk, keep praying and keep obeying the Lord.  Secondly, Divine breakthroughs happen when we start viewing our greatest source of pain as our greatest source of purpose in life. The Apostle Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, “He (God) said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Luke 1:23-25 Now after those days his wife Elizabeth conceived; and she hid herself five months, saying, “Thus the Lord has dealt with me, in the days when He looked on me, to take away my reproach among people.”

Apparent disgrace may actually be our great purpose for God. to drive us to the places that He wants us to be. We find our strength in the Lord and can be content in the midst of difficult circumstances and situations. Being a Christian dies not eliminate hardships, problems, frustrations or, even, persecution in life. Be faithful and obedient to the Lord always. Draw closer to God and His kingdom.

In Christ, Brian

No comments: