Monday, October 17, 2016

Two Types of Pride




James 4:6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”
There are two types of pride; one good type of pride and one bad type of pride. The 1828 Webster’s dictionary defines this good type of “pride” as: to pride one's self, to indulge pride; to take pride; to value one's self; to gratify self-esteem. Example: “I take pride in the fact that I made the efforts, sacrifices and struggles required to finish my Master’s Degree program in College” or "I take pride in my working hard and perseverance in meeting my employer's goals and objectives for this year” or “I take pride in my tireless endeavors for the Lord in reaching out to my friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers with the love of God and a helping hand that they may know the gospel of Jesus Christ.” Honorable.


Proverbs 6:16-17a “These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look.
The 1828 Webster’s dictionary defines the bad type of “pride” as: Inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, rank or elevation in office, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others. Pride that dines on vanity, sups on contempt. This pride is abject and mean. Insolence; rude treatment of others; insolent exultation, as in prejudice pride. Dishonorable.


Proverbs 11:2 “When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.”

Know the difference between “right & wrong”, and choose to do what is “right” in the eyes of the Lord.

In Christ, Brian


No comments: