Thursday, September 3, 2020

God’s Play Book – Part 2


According to Matthew 5, Jesus said, “blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God” The apostle Paul encouraged believers to endeavor to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace.

The God-rejecitng world and the followers of the world’s doctrines are described in 2 Timothy 3:1-5 “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.”

Despite the brokenness of this world, 1 Peter 5:6-7 says, “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for He cares for you.” When the crisis comes, and courage is required, God expects his men and women to have such confidence in Him that they will be the reliable ones. Our confidence is not in our own power but in the power of His mighty hand. 

According to Psalm 91:1-5 “He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flies by day.”

In times of crisis, our prayer is, “Lord, where do you want me to be? Here am I Lord, send me.” When the storms of life arise, the question is not, “Are you in the boat?” Rather, the question is, “Whose boat are you in?” Jesus said to his disciples, “Get in the boat. We’re going over to the other side.” In the midst of the storm our prayer isn’t “deliver me from the storm.” Instead, our prayer is, “Lord, deliver me through the storm.”

In John 16:33 Jesus said, “In this world you will have tribulation. But be of good cheer for I have overcome the world.” Christ’s followers need the zeal of a rescuer, the heart of a teacher, and the attitude of a servant. As Christians, God has given us his Holy Spirit: Christ in you the hope of glory. When we walk by faith, we obey his command — put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ. It’s His heart behind our heart and His zeal behind our zeal to will and to do of his good pleasure.

The good news of the gospel message is that even though we inherited our sin nature from Adam, and the wages of sin is death, God sending His Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and condemned sin in the flesh that we may be made the righteousness of God in Him. For no one can lay any foundation other than that which has been laid in Jesus Christ. The gospel message of salvation is in Romans 10:9-10: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”

God’s play book is a book of promises. Acceptance of His promises is by obedience according to His word. The choice is either truth or consequences. Jesus said, “treasure treasures in heaven instead of treasures upon earth.” The apostle Paul said to set our affections on things above. As we look unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, our prayer is, “Lord how can I serve you? Direct me into your will as I position myself in close proximity with you my Lord. I count myself not to have taken hold of all of your promises, but this one thing I do — I press toward the mark of the high calling of God in. Christ Jesus. That I may live for your honor and glory.... to the praise of the glory of thy grace!”

Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: