Friday, April 17, 2020

Finding Rest: Part 3 – In the Midst of the Storm



Michael continues his message on "Finding Rest", writing that people say that this pandemic is unprecedented. We had no warning of this “silent invisible enemy” and we have no defenses against it. Our national leaders have declared that we are now on a wartime battle. The resources of our nation have been mobilized to fight this invisible enemy. The Bible says that we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against spiritual wickedness from on high. Even though we have been blind sided by this virulent pandemic, God was not surprised. He knows the end from the beginning. From God’s perspective, this too shall pass.

In Matthew 11:27-30 Jesus said, “All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knows the Son, but the Father; neither knows any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.   Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

What we all need is rest. Jesus said, come unto me all you who are weary and are leafy laden and I will give you rest. When we rest in Jesus, through his power we will be the reliable ones in this time of crisis. We have to voluntarily yoke ourselves together with the Lord.  He says take my yoke upon you and learn from me ... fixing our eyes upon Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. For Jesus said, my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  

The Bible says we should walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the times because the days are evil.  We should walk precisely according to the path God sets before each of us.  A wise man said, “fools rush in where angels fear to tread.” Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Martin Luther said during the pestilence of the Black Plague, “I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely know where to find me.  And I have done what he has expected of me. And I am not responsible for my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me I shall avoid neither place nor person but will go freely as stated above.”

After a long and grueling day of ministry, Jesus said to his disciples, “Get in the boat, we’re going to the other side of the Sea of Galilee.”  Jesus was asleep in the back of the boat.  Suddenly a great storm arose and the rain and hail pelted their boat. The waves crashed over them and their boat filled with water. Even though they were seasoned fishermen, they were terrified and thought they would all drown. In a panic they woke Jesus said, “don’t you care if we all perish?” Jesus said, “Peace be still!” Immediately the wind and the waves ceased. The disciples marveled and said to themselves, “Who is this that even the wind and waves obey him?” Didn’t the Lord say that they were going to the other side? How could they not make it then? This is similar to today’s crisis. The waves are crashing and circumstances and situations look dire. The storms are out of our control. Many people are fearful of dying. We can look at the wind and waves and torrential rain and thunder and lightning that’s flooding our boat. The question is not “What’s in your boat?” The real question is “Who’s in your boat?” In the midst of the storm we look to Jesus Christ ... He is the captain of our salvation.  He is the author and finisher of our faith.

In the midst of the storm, Jesus will teach us that our prayer is not, “Lord, deliver me from the storm.”  Rather our prayer is, “Lord, deliver me through the storm.”  Through the crisis of the storms of life, including COVID 19, He will teach us the meaning of Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.” Through the trial, He will teach us that our purpose is that we should be to the praise of the glory of His grace!

Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: