Friday, November 15, 2019

Do All Things Work Together for Good? – Part 2


Michael continues, There is no fear in love for perfect love casts out fear for fear hath torment. He that fears is not made perfect in love. This is the moral of the story of the servants, the talents and the master. The Master had given his three servants a number of talents to steward and gain a profit for when he would return at a later date. The two servants to whom the master had given 5 talents and 2 talents respectively, both doubled their talents. When the master returned he said to each of these: “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.  Thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make you faithful over many things.  Enter now into the joy of your Lord." However, the servant to whom the master gave one talent, was afraid and buried his master's talent. This wicked and slothful servant viewed his Master as a harsh, demanding, and unloving taskmaster. On the other hand, a faithful and just servant serves his master with joy from a heart of love. The unfaithful servant said to his Master, “And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.” God never honors fear but He always honors faith.

Because of the cross, we have the assurance of the resurrection. As Jesus said, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:” According to Sam Parson's song, "The Best Is Yet to Come" as it says in Romans 8:18, “For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” Romans 8:29 says, "those He foreknow He also did predestination to be conformed to the image of his Son." The purpose is that Jesus Christ would be the firstborn among many brethren. Because Jesus Christ died on our behalf, we are sons and daughters of God, born again of God's Holy Spirit, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible by the Word of God which lives and abides forever. 1 John 3:2 says, “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

What does it mean to be a "person of God?"  A person of God answers "absolutely" to three questions. The third question is "do you want to spend the rest of your life learning to become just like Jesus?"  A person of God answers, "Absolutely, that we would be conformed to the image of His dear son."

In a late-breaking news story, Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was recently convicted of murder. According to her testimony she had returned home from a long shift. She went to what she thought was her own apartment, but it was the wrong apartment. The door had been left ajar and in the dim light she saw a black man sitting on her couch watching TV eating ice cream. She panicked, mistakenly thinking he was there to burglarize her home. She feared for her life and as she fired two shots she thought, "I'm justified because I'm acting in self defense." The man's brother said to her after her trial and conviction, "I forgive you and I love you. If you ask God, He will forgive you too. Can I give you a hug?" They embraced in the middle of the courtroom. He and his murdered brother were both Christians. The Judge in her private chambers afterwards gave her a bible and a hug and said, "read John 3:16."

Learning to become like our Lord is learning to forgive. There is plenty of injustice in this world. Part of repentance is learning that God works all things together for good to those who love him and are called according to his purpose. King David's repented after he had sinned with Bathsheba and had Uriah her husband murdered. His model prayer of repentance is recorded in Psalm 51:1-12 “ Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving-kindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.  For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that you might be justified when you speak, and be clear when you judge. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which you have broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”

Despite the tribulation of this fallen world and the sinful nature that we inherited from Adam, we who have confessed that Jesus is Lord and have believed that God has raised him from the dead, have been saved by His grace. God who is rich in mercy and grace works all things together for good to those who love Him and are called according to his purpose...  As sons and daughters of God without rebuke in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, we're called to shine as lights in this world of darkness.

And in so doing, may we ever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!
Your brother in Christ, Michael



No comments: