Thursday, July 20, 2017

A Resting Place


Titus 3:4-6 “But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy, He saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior.” 

Certainly one of the most precious doctrines of all Scripture is that our salvation depends not on our own “works of righteousness,” but upon His mercy and grace, given us freely through the atoning work of Jesus Christ our Savior. 

I read that the grand old hymn “My Faith Has Found a Resting Place” reflects this theme. Let us use its four verses and chorus to focus our hearts
.
My faith has found a resting place, Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Ever-living One, His wounds for me shall plead.
I need no other argument, I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died, And that He died for me.

Nothing we could do or nothing we or our church could believe can provide a resting place for our faith.

Hebrews 4:3, 9-10 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: “So I swore in My wrath, ‘They shall not enter My rest,’” There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

The only work which counts for anything is that which the ever-living One accomplished when He died on the cross.

1 Peter 2:24 “Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.”

This article points out that it is not so much our physical health in view here, but the healing of our sin-sick souls. Since “Christ died for our sins”, there is no more penalty to be paid. Jesus paid it all for all who believe, receive and cleave. Since He rose from the dead, He conquered both sin and its power, and our faith can rest in the peace of Christ; our resting place. 


Blessings.

No comments: