Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Fifth Cup - Good Friday


Mark 14:35-36 And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Our Wednesday night Bible Study group finished up a video series by Ray Vander Laan titled “The Path to the Cross” this week. We learned a few great new things that we never knew in this last and final session, One being that the word Gethsemane (Hebrew: גת שמנים ‎‎, Gat Shmanim) literally means “Oil Press”. Another being that there were five cups of the Passover Seder: (Cup 1) I will bring you out, (Cup 2) I will set you free, (Cup 3) I will redeem you, (Cup 4) I will take you and (Cup 5) which modern day Cll Elijah’s Cup, but originally was called the Cup of God’s Fury or Wrath.

Jeremiah 25:15 For thus says the Lord God of Israel to me: “Take this wine cup of fury from My hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send you, to drink it.” 

As the Angel of death passed over the Israelite home marked with the blood of the lamb as the wrath of God was poured out upon Egypt, let us remember that the wages of Sin is death but Easter is not about the pouring out of this Cup of God’s wrath upon us. John 3:36 and 1 John 5:11-13 are clear that Jesus Christ saves us from God and His wrath.

Matthew 10:28 ‘Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”

Jesus drank that cup and it was for you and me! Jesus drank it all. Death and sin have been swallowed up. The cup is empty, the tomb is empty and the Cross is empty. Christ paid it all and it is finished because He is risen. Jesus tells us to learn to be like Him so that people will see Him in you and I. Do we take the death and resurrection of our Savior and Lord lightly on Good Friday and Easter Sunday? God doesn’t. It was for us.


In Christ, Brian

No comments: