Saturday, August 8, 2015

Don’t Take the Plunge


Psalm 53:3 “Everyone has turned away, all have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one.”

God is the source of knowledge and wisdom. But I read lately that we seem to be in a major hurry to forget that fact these days. It’s not hard to see, and everybody seems to realize these days, that we are plunging headlong away from God, religion, and the Bible, into materialism, atheism, evolutionism, and a godless secular philosophy of life. Therefore, we are reaping the terrible consequences of that philosophy. My wife says that the flag seems to be flying at half-mass daily. The seeds of secular humanism, grounded in godless macro-evolution, have been and are producing a most pernicious and deadly harvest in America today. Yet, people sincerely believe that they are “good” people and see themselves as a “good person”. But self-esteem is over-rated. Self-justification is self-deception and leads to entitlement. We all tend to have a high view of ourselves. But due to our sin-nature, the best of us are capable of the worse. John Owen said that “You are either killing sin or sin is killing you.” What happens when the worst of us gets the best of us?

Psalm 51:1-4 “Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin. For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just.  

The biblical worldview provided the intellectual dynamics of Western education. The Word of God is the source of true wisdom and knowledge from above. The world says, “Seeing is believing”, but the Bible teaches “believing is seeing”, and when God enables us to trust in Jesus Christ, we begin to see things as they truly are; things we have never seen before. In John 9:39, Jesus said, For judgment I came into this world, that those who do not see may see, and those who see may become blind.” How is your spiritual vision today? Have our eyes been opened, or do we still wander in the darkness of a world in unbelief? Spiritual vision gives us a view of the spiritual world and spiritual truths, but also gives us an awareness of that world in this world. We become aware of the fact that this is, indeed, a God-saturated earth upon which we live, and move and have our being. May God open our eyes more fully that we may see Him for who He is, and don’t take the plunge into darkness of this world. Sanctify us in your truth. Your Word I trust.


 Psalm 119:99  I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.”


In Christ, Brian

No comments: