Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Soul

Psalm 62:1-2 “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.”

I think about discussions that I had with my goddaughter over the years on why people act the way that they do. I used to wonder why people had such different personalities and attributes, likes and dislike, wants and perceived needs, or being introverted and extraverted, and so much more. I understood that God created each of us as a distinctly unique individual in our soul [our mind, will and emotions]. And that sanctified born-again Believers were given spiritual gifts by the Holy Spirit upon their conversion unto salvation. It wasn't until I saw a teaching by the late Christian family psychologist Gary Smalley on the four main personalities of people, their godly purpose in society, and each's necessity in community that I made the connection and understood in order to identify, value and interact with others better.

My goddaughter studied Psychology in college, which literally means "the study of the human soul". Every human being consists of body, soul and spirit. Body being the vital biological life, soul being the mind, will and emotions of the individual, and spirit being the personal spiritual connection with God and the Holy Spirit. Psychology is such a fascinating aspect of life and personalities, philosophies and social trends are just amazing for me to consider. To not be tempted by the latest distracting craze or current trend, but take a step back and analyze the situation and keep grounded in healthy life pursuits and not swayed by secular thoughts and any unhealthy behaviors of the culture around me; focus on the Word of God and the fruit of the Spirit for the better. 

Philippians 4:7 “The peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

My strong Christian faith is foundational in the providence of God, salvation in Christ and the leading of the Holy Spirit. But, our feet are on the ground in the here and now that interacts with family and society using that sure faith. The light of the Word helps me see truth and try to understand and help others, but with soul contentment. We are blessed in order to be a blessing, but in the framework of what is pleasing in the eyes of the Lord. True happiness is there.

Honestly, though I know God is always there and I intimately active in my life, I feel a bit inadequate and unworthy … like an amateur, but see the need and happy to serve. I am finite in an infinite world, but as a sinner saved by the grace of God, I've been commissioned by my Maker and equipped to handle the kingdom assignment on this side of heaven. Physical word, social work, family work, friendship work, philanthropic word and church work are rewarding efforts because they ultimately are kingdom work on earth. You have to be willing to be willing to try. In terms of the infinite, I may suck at it (we all do), but I am "at it" and improving. It is the family business and it is good for the soul. 

In Christ, Brian


No comments: