Saturday, May 20, 2023

Bow

 George Washington, Prayer at Valley Forge 16 x 20 | eBay

Isaiah 45:22-23 “Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other. I have sworn by Myself; The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath.”


 To bow the nee in prayer and worship to God was such a common occurrence. I wonder if it still is? I remember bowing at my bed a prayer heartfelt petitions to the Almighty: "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take." Then thank God for each member of my family before hopping into bed. Did you do that too?

 

Ephesians 3:14-16 “ For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man.”

 

To bow the knee is to show one's deference [reverence]. This phrase can literally refer to the physical act of kneeling in submission; to yield, to submit in respect. Matthew  Henry stats that when we draw nigh to God, we should reverence him in our hearts, and express our reverence in the most suitable and becoming behavior and gesture. Have we became too casual in our praying and worship? Have we taken who God is and what He has done for us lightly? I guess that this is a self-check for me. I read these verses and see if I measure up. Do I bow the knee,  confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, and live 

 

Philippians 2:8-11 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

 

 BRIAN TODD BLOG: A Snow White Prayer


In Christ, Brian

No comments: