Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Inescapable Self – Part 2



Jeremiah 17:9-10 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.”

Continuing Michael’s message on self”, he writes that the truth of the Word has been turned upside down. The heart of men and women are deceitful and cannot know the truth of the Word of God without the spirit. God will solve all the "why" questions when we come to know his Truth through our Lord Jesus Christ. We come to an understanding that God is a good, Creator Father. We may not know His ways, but we know His heart of tender mercy, grace, and loving kindness.

According to Philippians 2:3-5, “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:”

When we come to the realization that it's not all about me, we will find peace and rest in the midst of the storm. Jesus said, “Come unto me all ye that are weak and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.” The attitude of Christ was to look on the things of others, to serve and to bless them. Jesus emptied himself of the right to His own will; to serve his Father by gladly serving from a heart of love those whom God had committed to his keeping.  

Philippians 2:6-8 “Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”


A bond servant doesn't serve his master by law, but by love. Jesus Christ gave up His "right" to Himself and crucified His own will when He prayed to His Father, "not my will but thine be done." The paradox of the Christian life says that in order to gain, you need to lose.  Jim Elliot, the missionary to South America understood this truth. Elliot said before he was martyred, "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

Humility defeats pride.  Humility frees us from "the insidious preoccupation with self."  Humility says, "Make me a captive Lord, And then I shall be free. Force me to render up my sword and I shall conqueror be. I sink in life's alarms, if by myself I stand. Imprison me within thine arms and free shall be my stand!"

May God richly bless you!
Your brother in Christ, Michael


No comments: