Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Work It Out – Part 1



This week, Michael writes: Jesus returned to Jerusalem to finish the work for which he had been called. When he met with his twelve disciples in the upper room, they were not prepared for the events that would unfold in the next few days. In John 13, Jesus instituted the memorial of the Lord’s Supper. He said in John 16:7, I need to leave so that I can leave you the comforter of the Holy Spirit. In the upper room, He washed their feet and showed them what it means to be a servant leader … for he that is chiefest among you must be servant of all. Then he predicted His betrayal. He said to Judas, “whatsoever you do, do quickly.” Jesus told them, “where I’m going you cannot come.” Peter objected to this and said, “I’ll go wherever you go.” Then Jesus reminded him of the weakness of the flesh, “before the cock crows twice you shall deny me three times.”

John 14:1-3 “Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there you may be also.”

Jesus had told his disciples that He is the “good shepherd”, the “bread of life” and the “light of the world”. He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the father except by me.” Everything other than Jesus Christ is a false religion. The truth of Jesus Christ is a gospel of “exclusiveness.” He is the only way to God.

People often ask, “If God is love, then why would he allow condemnation to those who never accepted the gospel of Christ?” Those who ask this question often want to justify following their own will instead of God’s will. Holiness starts with exclusion. It means to “set apart for the purpose intended by the designer.” Inclusiveness means all-embracing or universal. There is a broad way that leads to destruction. However there is a narrow way through the narrow gate. According to John 14:6, Jesus said unto him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” He is both the narrow gate and the narrow way. Jesus Christ is the only way to approach a holy God. He said, “apart from me you can do nothing.” For there is one God and one mediator between man and God, the man Christ Jesus.

The world teaches men and women to be “self sufficient.” However, as Oswald Chambers said, “when the crisis comes and courage is required, God expects his people to have such confidence in Him that they will be the reliable ones.” Through the power of Christ we are confident and rely on God’s promise that He will keep within us His gift of the Holy Spirit, whereby we have been sealed for the day of redemption … for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that (Holy Spirit) which he’s committed to me against that day of righteous judgment.

Let’s continue Michael’s message on working it out in the next post.
In Christ, Brian

No comments: