Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Treasuring Treasures

Treasures in Heaven (Series) – Artisan Church – Rochester, NY

Hebrews 12:25-28 See that you do not refuse Him (Almighty God) who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven.” Now this, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear.

In the second part of his message, Michael writes that the Apostle Paul wrote in Acts 20:24 "I shall not be moved."  According to Hebrews 12 (above), the things of this world which can be shaken will be shaken. That which is shaken loose will be burned, for our God is a consuming fire. However, the things of heaven, the things of the spirit of God, in Christ, in us, shall not be moved, for they shall last into eternity. 

Acts 20:18-24 is Paul's farewell address to his beloved fellow believers in Ephesus saying: And when they had come to him, he said to them: “You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you, serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews; how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.”

Verse 24 in the Spanish translation says, "These things are of no value to me." There is no moving value of the things of this earth. I shall not be moved from the course my Father has set before me. This is heart of the man and woman of God ... to value the things of the Spirit of Life in Christ. Our hearts are not tied and tethered to the things of this world. Rather, our hearts are tethered to heaven. What is it that you treasure? What do you value most? Treasure not treasures upon earth but rather treasure treasures in heaven.

According to the prophet Isaiah, death is the veil between life on this earth and God. When Christ returns, the Lord will tear down the veil of death. What a day of rejoicing that will be, when we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory! Prior to his ascension, Jesus said to his disciples, "You shall be baptized with Holy Spirit and with fire not many days hence." For our God is a consuming fire. The things of this world will be burned up and come to naught. The things of this earth are “ashes to ashes and dust to dust”. However, that which is of the spirit of God, in Christ, in us, is eternal.

In Luke 12:15, Jesus said, “Take heed and beware of covetousness for a man's life consists not in the abundance of things which he possesses”.  And, according to the Bible, everything that is of this world is vanity. Material things are a vapor lasting but for a moment. The question is, do we value the things of the Spirit of Life in Christ above the things of this world? Do we truly treasure treasures in heaven? Through prayer, God calls us to dedicate the things of this earth to him...the things which God has entrusted to our keeping.  

As Christians we can't "make a deal with God." The question for some Christians is, "how little can I do, meaning what can I get away with and still be considered a Christian?" However, the prayer of a man or woman of God is "Lord help me give my all to your honor and glory." No one can out-give God. He is our sufficiency, He is our portion and our all in all.  Almighty God is a God of abundance, but the abundance of a man's life consists not in the abundance of things which he possesses.  According to Malachi 3:10, God said, "Bring ye all the tithes and offerings into the storehouse and prove me now herewith says the Lord of hosts and see if I will not pour ye out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it." The blessings go far beyond material things. Therefore, treasure not treasures upon earth. They are here today and gone tomorrow; so are you and I. Everything on earth shall take wings and fly away. Rather, treasuring treasures in heaven is an investment in eternity.  

What is of lasting value? The things of earth shall grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace. As Paul said, "I shall not be moved... for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that (Holy Spirit) which he's committed unto me against that day of righteous judgement."

May we forever live to the praise of the glory of His grace!
Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: