Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Big One


They say that when you live in Los Angeles, California, you need to be ready for the "big one"; a 9-10 earthquake that will devastate the West Coast. In Matthew 24, the disciples asked Jesus, "What shall be the signs of your (second) coming?" According to verse 7, one of the signs will be "earthquakes in diverse places." That which can be shaken will be shaken. Are you ready to be shaken? The scripture says that we must prepare our hearts and stand upon the solid rock, which is Jesus Christ himself.  He is the sure foundation.

In 1 Corinthians 16:13, Paul said, "Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.” Be on your guard, be alert. Live every day like Jesus is coming today. Stand firm in the faith. When the crisis comes and courage is required, God expects his people to be the reliable ones; ones who have prepared their hearts beforehand. Can God trust us in the crisis of life? When the crisis comes, we'll conduct ourselves as we have prepared. How can we prepare our hearts to stand firm despite the shaking?  

Our hope is in that which cannot be taken away. The things of this world can be taken away ... the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. However, the things that cannot be taken away are the things of the spirit of God, in Christ, in us. To be ready for the crisis there are four important themes.

The first is that life in this world is hard. Life in the jungle is no bowl full of cherries. In this fallen world, there will be trials and tribulations. God is teaching us that in all things we must practice to respond like Jesus Christ himself would respond. Jesus said in Matthew 5:11, "Blessed are they when men shall revile you and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake, for great is your reward in heaven." Trials of life will either tear us down or prove the power of God in our lives. God is training us as Men and women of God through trials that His strength is made perfect in my weakness, His grace is sufficient for me.

The second theme is that it's not about me. The devil's tactic is to appeal to our pride. However, if you look at yourself, you will be distressed. If you look around you, you'll be depressed. But if you look unto Jesus, you'll be blessed. The blessing is in giving and not in receiving. Jesus said in Matthew 25:40, "Inasmuch as you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me."

The third theme is that “I'm not in control”. Lord Grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change. God is sovereign and I'm not. The fourth theme is that one day I will die. It is appointed once for all men to die and then comes the judgement. The secret of this life is to live, not for today but for eternity. As Paul said, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which he's committed unto me against that day of righteous judgement."


Therefore, as Paul said,"Be prepared, conduct yourselves like men.."  The life that we now live is our preparation for eternity.  Training in righteousness with the Love of God is profitable for eternity.  The word of God and the spirit of life in Christ will correct us along the way.  God's Correction is to "restore us to an upright position" so that we can walk in fellowship with our Lord.” God is teaching us to see the troubles of life from His heavenly perspective. Trials teach us to look unto God to prove His power in our life. Problems are only as big as the power required to overcome them. How powerful is omnipotent God? Jesus said, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." The requirement is that we are yoked together with Christ. When we work together with Him as fellow laborers in the mission field, when we plant and water, the Lord will give the increase. The harvest is in His hands.

The final theme is that Jesus Christ is Lord of my life. A man of God is God's man.  A woman of God is God’s woman. It's not who I am but whose I am. We are slaves to whom we obey. Have thine own way, Lord, have thine own way.  Thou art the potter I am the clay.  Mold me and make me after thy will, while I am waiting, yielded and still. Are you a=ready for the Big One?

May God richly bless you,
Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: