Thursday, January 25, 2018

Shalom: Peace be Still – Part 2


Continuing Michael’s message on peace: The peace of God that passes all understanding is elusive in a world of doubt, worry and fear.  The prerequisite to peace is in Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer, and supplication, and thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God that passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus our Lord.” In the Old Testament, Isaiah 41:10-13 says, "Fear thou not for I am with thee:  be not dismayed for I am thy God:  I will strengthen thee, yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." 

In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus left with the peace that passes all understanding. You can't have peace until you have the Prince of Peace – Jesus Christ. Peace means that our heart is settled before God. Peace is the result of reconciling our will with God's will. Jesus said, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done." To come to the Lord, we need to "Let go and let God." We must learn to release our will to God's will. When we come boldly before the “throne of Grace” in prayer, sometimes the answer is “no, I have something better”. He has our best interest in mind even when we don't. In Matthew 11:28, Jesus said, "Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  

In the trials of life, God will ask, "no matter the outcome of this trial, will you still honor, love, praise, and serve me?  How much control do you have over this situation?"  God said, "My ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. I'm working behind the scenes the way you can't know now. All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose.” Because God is in control and makes it happen. You'll just have to trust him. 

1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you."

For peace in our lives, we have to come to know Him; not just know of Him. In times of trouble, our prayer must be, "not my will but thine be done." Is my knowledge of God such that I can trust Him through this trial. Those who surrender to God, must come to Him through total abandonment and absolute trust. Jesus said, "My peace I leave with you.  My peace I give unto you.  Not as the world giveth give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." As a wise Sage, who has come to know and value the peace of God through experience, the question is "Where's your heart?"  Those who have come to know the Lord know that our strength is not in our own power but in the Lord. Thy strength is made perfect in my weakness...thy grace is sufficient for me.

Shalom...peace be with you.

Your Brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: