Thursday, November 16, 2017

Choose Joy – Part 2


1 Peter 4:12-14 “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.”

Michael continues: Suffering is a gift from God for those who want to glorify their Lord Jesus Christ. The greatest witness is when we have peace despite suffering.  We have been called, not only to believe in Christ, but also to suffer for His name.  They cause us to turn your heart to God. In times of tribulation, as the Apostle Paul said, "to you O Lord I lift up my soul.  O God I trust in you. Let me not be ashamed." We want to glorify the name of the Lord despite the pain of this world.  

It's difficult to endure pain...to crucify the “old man” of the flesh by living according to nature of the resurrected Christ in us. Our calling is to point others to Jesus by the way we respond to adversity. God warns us that we will become what we focus on. If we focus on resentment and hatred for the pain that others have inflicted, we will poison our own hearts. However, the love of God is not burdened by bitterness and resentment.  Through our suffering, then we can identify with Him.  As Paul said, "that I may know him and the fellowship of his suffering." 

Isaiah 41:10 says, “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

The calling of God is to mold us and shape us after His will. Either we deliberately choose to let God help himself to our lives, or the devil will have his way with us. When we choose to walk according to the Spirit of life in Christ, the Holy Spirit will check us in our thoughts and actions. His spirit will admonish us to seek the Lord and not the comfort of our own flesh. He will call us to a more worthy endeavor ... to let go and let God. The heart of a disciple says, "Show me your ways O Lord.  Lead me to your paths.  On you I wait all the day long.  For thou art the God of my salvation.  That I may live for thy honor and glory.  O Lord, remember your tender mercy and loving kindness...Remember me for your goodness sake."

Hebrews 9:27 says that it is appointed for all men once to die. And then comes the judgment. Christians will be judged righteous because of the righteous payment Jesus made on the cross for sin on our behalf. By His wounds we were healed. God gives us an open invitation to surrender our lives to Him. He will teach us through trials abandon self and to turn to Him. The question is not whether we will suffer.  Suffering is inevitable. We can choose to understand suffering as a gift to prove that joy is not the absence of pain. Rather, that true joy is to walk in His presence. For thy grace is made perfect in my weakness. Thy grace is sufficient for me.

May God richly bless you!

Your brother in Christ, Michael

No comments: