Saturday, March 4, 2017

Drama – Part 1


Genesis 27:1-10 Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, “My son.” And he answered him, “Here I am.” Then he said, “Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death. Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.” Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt game and to bring it. So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, “Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying, ‘Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the Lord before my death.’  Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you. Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves. Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death.”

This last week, Pastor Kyle continued in his sermon series based upon the book of Genesis. He opened with the honest fact that we all want to advance in life. But, there is a way to get ahead in life a little quicker … the “wrong” way. In the Bible passage above, Jacob and Rebekah used deception that created family drama. In reality, there are few true family dramas in our lives. Most are minor issues blown out of proportion … making mountains out of molehills. Drama creates stress. Like water on a duck, we need to decide that, even though family dramas rage around us, we can stop ourselves from participating in it and choose to model “righteousness’, knowing that God is in control.

Job 42:2 “I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.”

Pastor Kyle gave us three thoughts on systematic family drama. (1) Time may lessen it, but it might not solve it. God works miracles, but God does not always end family drama by the passing of time. (2) The only side of the problem that we can improve is our side. Everything starts with improving ourselves. The sense of urgency needs to begin at home. (3) Leave the outcome in God’s sovereign hands. All-seeing, All-knowing, All-powerful Creator Father God is not surprised. He never says: “Wow, I didn’t see that coming!” Our scheming wastes valuable time. Wasting “good” years will never help our blessings. God asks for a life of worship and obedience. Glory be to God!  

Ephesians 3:20-21 “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”

Let’s continue Pastor Kyle’s message on “Drama in our Life” in the next post.

In Christ, Brian

No comments: