Sunday, September 11, 2016

Citizens of Heaven Passing Through


Psalm 116:1-2 “I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.”

This last Labor Day weekend Sunday service was graced by the guest preaching of world-renowned motivational Speaker and Christian Evangelist Nick Vujicic of life without limbs ministry. He opened his message by asking two key questions of life: (1) Who are you? and (2) What do you want?  Far too often, we compare ourselves to others for those answers and complain: I want this. Or I want that. When we don’t get what we desire, we ask: “Why me?” So, how do you keep peace in your life? We have been given a mind, a body, a soul and a spirit to use in life. To not know the truth of our purpose is a disability.

Psalm 116:5-7 “Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; Yes, our God is merciful. The Lord preserves the simple; I was brought low, and He saved me. Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.”

The mind can disable us. When things are not going our way in life, we tend to look for a Plan “B”. A loving God that allows pain and suffering in the world (and especially in our self) is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to unbelievers , because it doesn’t make sense. But, we have got to understand that this world, cursed by sin, is not our home. We are citizens of Heaven passing through. Hope exists. Do you have hope? Out of broken pieces, God can put them together and make something beautiful. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Trust God on what He says and in His good plan for you. is God faithful? Yes, yes, yes! Not believing in God’s plans and promises, we start believing fearful lies. God can use a person without arms or legs to be His hands and feet.

Psalm 116:12-14 “What shall I render to the Lord for all His benefits toward me? I will take up the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord. I will pay my vows to the Lord now in the presence of all His people.”

If you put the word “Go” in front of the word “disable”, you come up with the phrase “God is able.” If you put your hand into a fist, then you cannot receive anymore. If you put your happiness in temporary things, then your happiness will be temporary. I ask again: “Do you have hope?” How reliable is your hope? Know that your hope must be tested for it to be sound. Many people have a life philosophy. To those who are hurt, what do you tell them about hope? You tell them about Jesus Christ; His forgiveness and salvation. Pain came into the world because of sin in the Garden of Eden, not God. Free choice is being allowed to hear the other side, so you can make informed and wise choices in life. God decided for us to live with Him forever at the end of this mortal life on earth.


Philippians 2:12b-16a “Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose. Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life.”

Every day we fall short of being holy. How do you become holy? Jesus is the answer. You do not know anyone perfect here. But, we have found the cure for the greatest disability of all … sin. It is Jesus! If you knew the cure for cancer and it was free, would you tell everybody? You know the greatest cure of all. For as long as I live, I will call upon the name of the Lord. You do not become or are a Christian to be a better person. You become and are a Christian to follow Jesus Christ in a personal relationship. Stand up for your faith and be free.


In Christ, Brian   

No comments: