Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Purpose of Life


Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”

There come a time in everyone’s life that they examine themselves and the world around them and try to make sense of it all. Why am I here? What is my purpose? Where am I going? These are such common questions in each generation. Unfortunately, few, if any are able to come up with an answer that even makes sense to the question: What is the purpose of your life?

I read an account of a young man who had graduated from Oxford University that approached the Prime Minister Gladstone and asked if he would listen to the plan he had mapped out for his life. Gladstone said, “Fine. Tell me.”Well, I have graduated and intend to take the bar exam to practice law.” said the young man. “That’s fine. What next?” replied Gladstone. “After some experience, I hope to run for Parliament.” Said the young man. That’s great. What then!” Gladstone replied. “I hope to make some contributions towards the betterment of our country.” said the young man. “Excellent. What then?” replied Gladstone. “Well, after a while, I’ll retire.” Said the young man. “Very well. What then?” replied Gladstone. “Well. I guess someday, I’ll die.” Said the young man. “That’s right. And what then?” asked Gladstone. “Well sir, I really don’t know. I never really thought about it.”Gladstone fixed his eyes on the young man and said: “Young man, Go home and think life through again.” What was missing?


1 John 5:12-6:2a “He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.”

What response would we get if we laid out our plans, our purposes, and the intentions for our life before God? What is our purpose for living? Everyone lives by purposes. But, what is the chief purpose of man? Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever. This is why we seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. The reason we are here is to bring glory to God. The purpose of life is to know God and to make Him known. This is the foundation that we build upon. Our priorities should be God first, then family, vocation, church and community. What rule has God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him? The Word of God, which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him. Above all, we are to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. That is the purpose of life.

In Christ, Brian 

No comments: