Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Shadow and a Promise


Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

This great Psalm 23 speaks of the “valley of the shadow of death.” But we have no reason to fear because for every shadow, there must be light. Jesus Christ said, “I am the light of the world” in John 8:12. We take great comfort in the promises of this beloved Psalm.

I read that a shadow may frighten you, but a shadow cannot really hurt you. I dare say that a shadow at one time or another has spooked many of us. But thank God, death is but a shadow if you know the Lord Jesus Christ. If you keep your face toward the light, the shadow will fall behind you. You won’t even see the shadow. “The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow.” God doesn’t bring us to a valley to leave us there. God is never closer than when you are in a dark valley. He always brings us through. 


Keep your eyes upon the Good Shepherd, not the shadow, and cling with comfort to the promises of God for you.


In Christ, Brian

No comments: