Friday, May 20, 2016

Life's Uncertainties


John 14:5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”

Many times along life’s way we face uncertainties, opposition, and even doubt. When we do, it is helpful to recognize that those who lived with Christ when He was here on Earth faced the same perplexities. How many times do we see the twelve show that they are human in either thinking, saying or doing the wrong things. I read a devotion this week that highlighted Jesus’ answers and assurances to them in John 14 which are meant for us as well. I said it before: surveys of Christians show John 14 as the favor chapter of the Bible because it is packed, head to toe, with blessing after blessing.

 To start, “Let not your heart be troubled,” in John 14:1 is an emphatic command which could be rendered: “Don’t continue to be troubled.” The solution: “Ye believe in God, believe also in me.” We believe God can supply all the answers to our troubles. But Christ is God! He is “the solution”. He is “the way, the truth, and the life” (14:6), and is the only solution, for “no man cometh unto the Father, but by [Jesus Christ].”

“In my Father’s house are many mansions … I go to prepare a place for you. And …  I will come again, and receive you unto myself” (14:2-3). Whatever else may befall us, our destiny is sure. He has promised a place in the Father’s house. Jesus said He is “the truth.” “The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me” (14:10). Words and thoughts not in accordance with His are not “truth,” we can be sure of that.


How can those things be? “I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” (14:13). In a world of life’s uncertainties, when our heart’s desires are aligned with the Lord’s heart desires, then what we as ask in his name is what he wants for us, as Father God will be glorified in it … and that’s the goal all along. We can be certain of that.


Blessings,
In Christ, Brian

No comments: