Sunday, January 24, 2016

Search me, O God – Part 2 – The God image



Psalm 139:23-24Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

 

Pastor Kyle continues and explains that “shame” is defined per Webster’s dictionary as a painful sensation excited by a consciousness of guilt, or of having done something which injures reputation; or by of that which nature or modesty prompts us to conceal.  Shame is particularly excited by the disclosure of actions which, in the view of men, are mean and degrading. Simply speaking, shame is feeling bad about what people think about what we think, say or did or do, which is exposed.

 

 A “God image” is our experiential knowledge of God that is formed in our subconscious. This is the hidden person of the heart. 1 Corinthians 4:4-5 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.We can consciously know that something is “wrong” in our thoughts, words and deeds, but are a part of our heart that we do not deal with. A perpetual temptation of Christianity is an exorbitant focus on the “God concept”, with very little work on our “God image”. Our experiential information about God in our disciple pilgrimage, walking with the Spirit in this life should lead to transformation by sanctification. But, it is the indwelling Holy Spirit that guides and transforms us. Mother Teresa once said: “The longest journey that a man must take is the 18 inches between his head to his heart.” Holy Scripture teaches the image and purposes of God. If we do not see God for who he really is, then we have a distorted view of God and our purposes are not aligned with His. God concepts need to get from the head to the heart.

 

Proverbs 4:18-19 The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble.

 

Pastor Kyle gives us 5 questions to ask ourselves to understand our “true” God image. 910 What is my long-term persistent experience with God? We need to draw out the images of God which do not align with Scripture – the Word of God. (2) How do I view and act towards authority in my life? God commanded in Exodus 20:12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.God created the family unit and the duties, responsibilities and authority figures in that domestic relative love relationship. The child of God has a family relationship with their heavenly Father, where we learn to interact with trust, submission, obedience, honor, and respect in adoration. (3) Does what I know in my head match what I feel in my heart? God calls us, not to just bring his message to a lost and dying world, but to also be the message lived out in our heart and life. (4) How do I respond to guilt and shame?  2 Corinthians 13:5 says, “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?Take a look under the hood of our heart. (5) What things do I feel that I need hide or cover-up?



Do not focus on everyone else’s problem, but understand yourself as God see you. And live through the Holy Scriptures to change, transform, and grow by experiences aligned with the Word of God from the inside out. The children of God are not disconnected from their heavenly Father, nor is He far away. Stop asking, “How do we see God?” and start asking, “How does God see me?” Let go and let God.

 

Search me, O God!


In Christ, Brian

No comments: