Sunday, December 13, 2015

I have everything I need in the Lord


Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.”

I remember an old co-worker, who once told me: “I see it. I want it. I get it.” I’ll never forget that because of the self-centered pride and arrogance that was the context of the statement. Yet, how many of us see this “atmosphere of entitlements that never leads to contentment” played out daily? “I want that. I need that. I have to have that.” Positions achieved and possessions in hand, where that desire ends and a new one begins in a never ending cycle; like a bottomless pit. 

Last Sunday, Pastor Kyle preached that the main thing we need to remember when we do not feel like we have everything that we need is that the Lord is my Shepherd. ” It is natural for a child to feel that their parents have and provide everything that they need. This is true also with our heavenly Father. That our all-powerful, all-seeing, all-knowing Creator Father God supplies all of our truly essential needs in life. Jesus is the “Good Shepherd”. There is a faithful old adage that is says: “God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life”; that means our earthly life and eternal life too.

John 10:7-11 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”


The phrase: “I shall not want” is counter-cultural and foreign to the way that society thinks today. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but we must trust our Lord to loving lead us to the green pastures of life. Our “Good Shepherd” will never forget us, nor forsake us because He always makes sure that His sheep are never found “wanting”.  The shepherd tends to His flock.

Psalm 23:2-4 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

Occasionally, the Lord makes His sheep lie down. This is an opportunity to rest, refresh and restore our soul. We must overcome our personal preferences, so that He may to do a good work in us and we may depend upon Him. Know that the Lord cares for His sheep, looks past the irrational desires and fears, making accommodations for them daily. He dams up the noisy and fearful waters, so His flock can drink in peace for this is spiritual water that quenches that thirst, refreshes the mind and body and restore the energy inside to truly live the abundant life. Our Good Shepherd leads us to the “right” path and stays extra close in the valley. The Lord puts the “right” things, right in front of us daily as we walk “step-by-step” through this wonderful life. Sheep tend to wander. God will for our life is obedience. When we stray, He comes after us to bring us back into the sheepfold. We walk through life content because we know who we are walking with and find pure comfort there.


Psalm 95:7 “For he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if only you would hear his voice.”

We do not know what tomorrow holds for us, but we do know who holds tomorrow in His hands. We do not know the day that the sun will set on our life, but we do know who we belong to here and where we are going with Him; for we are His and Jehovah Jireh is our Divine Providence. And we can truly say: “I have everything I need in the Lord”.

In Christ, Brian 

No comments: