Thursday, November 5, 2015

Oh, For a Closer Walk - Part 1 - Forgiven


Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

This week Michael writes that we’re as close to Jesus Christ as we want to be. He has given us every opportunity to walk in fellowship with him. There are many reasons for staying excited to walk with Him. The first is forgiveness. Not that we were worthy by our own works, but that he died for us. For he who knew no sin was made the perfect sin sacrifice on our behalf that we who were dead in trespasses and sins may be made the righteousness of God in Him. For God commended His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for the ungodly. Unworthy was I of the grace that he gave, but He made me worthy and now by His grace, His mercy has made me His own. Where sin abounded grace abounded all the more. I was crucified with Christ. It’s no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by the faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me – Galatians 2:20.

From what have we been forgiven? The world stands convicted before a righteous God because of man’s sinful nature passed down from Adam’s original sin. We inherited our sin nature through Adam’s bloodline. Before salvation, we were slaves to sin. We had no choice because of our sin nature. There is none righteous (in the flesh,) no not one, for the wages of sin is death. Death is the default condition. Ultimately sin must be judged by a righteous judge. To be able to know what it means to be a “follower of Christ”, we must first know the depth of the depravity of sin from which He has forgiven us. Salvation from the penalty of sin is available, not because we repented, but because Jesus died in our stead and accepted the penalty for our sin on our behalf. 


After we were “born again”, if our prayer is, “God, I know that I’m not the person that I knew to be, God make me that person.” This is a prayer that God is longing to answer. How we battle the flesh between now and heaven will determine whether He says at the judgment seat of rewards, “well done, my good and faithful servant.” How close to Jesus do you want to be? If your desire is to be close to Him, you need to know Him intimately. To live the Christian life, we need to spend time in His presence and in His Word.  We need to be committed to the gospel of Christ. He is the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by him – John 14:6. The gospel of Christ is the message of salvation to those who were born in sin (aka all of us). Is your heart’s desire to become just like Jesus? To walk in fellowship with Him, we need to experience the reality that all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to his purpose. Those who are not close to God, ask God the wrong questions.  “Why” questions are the wrong questions. Who am I to question God’s motives?  The right question is, “God, what are you teaching me through this trial?” The child of God who has settled in their heart that Jesus is Lord of their life, approaches God from a heart of meekness and humility; not my will, but thine be done. If this is the heart of the child of God, their story will be a witness of God’s Story.

Let's finish Michael's message on "a closer walk with the Lord" tomorrow.
In Christ, Brian

No comments: