Wednesday, October 21, 2015

No Worries


Genesis 39:23 The warden had no worries, because Joseph took care of everything. The Lord was with him and caused everything he did to succeed.”

I cannot help but notice when the latest trendy “catch-word” or “catch-phrase” comes “down the pike”. There was “no doubt about it”, how ya doin’?”, “amazing”, and “absolutely” in the last few years or so. They seem to come and go, like the most recent fads. I watch some of the old “Hawaii Five-0” re-runs and get back right into those “groovy” days of the Sixties. Today, the new hottest “buzz-phrase” seems to be “no worries”. I hear it everywhere. Where did that come from? You may be familiar with the popular song from the Disney animated movie or the Broadway show “The Lion King”, titled "Hakuna matata". This is a Swahili phrase; translated, it roughly means "No worries". It is formed by the words hakuna (there is not here) and matata (plural form of problem). I’m sure that the term did not stem from the old Alfred E. Newman quote: “What, me Worry?” Pastor Kyle says that he thought that the term “no worries” came from Jamaica and he uses it regularly today. But, what is it based on? Why shouldn’t I worry, when there is so much to worry about? We are not putting our heads in the sand and pretending that nothing is going wrong in this world.

The terms “no problem” and “no worries” are right in line with the biblical term “fear not”, which appears 63 times in the King James Version of the Bible, and in reading them, I understand the comforting peace of God’s promises, providence and protection that leads us to say: “no worries”, despite the world.


Deuteronomy 31:6,8 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.”

1 Samuel 12:20-22 And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart; And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain. For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people.

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

Isaiah 43:5Fear not: for I am with thee.”

Joel 2:21 Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the Lord will do great things.”

Luke 2:10-11 And the angel said unto them, “Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.”

No worries in Christ, 
Brian

No comments: