Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Addicted to Sin


Romans 7:17-20 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

Webster’s Dictionary defines “Sin” as: The voluntary departure of a moral agent from a known rule of rectitude or duty, prescribed by God; any voluntary transgression of the Divine law, or violation of a Divine command; a wicked act; iniquity. Sin is either a positive act in which a known Divine law is violated (what we did and shouldn’t have), or it is the voluntary neglect to obey a positive Divine command, or a rule of duty clearly implied in such command (what we didn’t do and should have). Sin comprehends not action only, but neglect of known duty, all evil thoughts purposes, words and desires, whatever is contrary to God's commands or law. Among divines, sin is original or actual. Actual sin, above defined, is the act of a moral agent in violating a known rule of duty. Original sin, as generally understood, is native depravity of heart to the Divine will, that corruption of nature of deterioration of the moral character of man, which is supposed to be the effect of Adam's apostasy; and which manifests itself in moral agents by positive act of disobedience to the Divine will, or by the voluntary neglect to comply with the express commands of God, which require that we should love God with all the heart and soul and strength and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves. This native depravity or alienation of affections from God and His law, is supposed to be what the apostle calls the carnal mind or mindedness, which is enmity against God, and is therefore denominated sin or sinfulness. 

James 1:13-15 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”

I read that one of the tragic things about sin is that it is addictive. It doesn’t matter what kind of sin a person gets into, all sin is addictive. The more we do a particular sin, the greater our desire for that addition and the more its chains hold us and the greater our desire for that sin. The good news is that every shackle is broken at Calvary by our Lord Jesus. There on the Cross, Christ the Redeemer, having been nailed hand and foot for us, broke the chains that bind the captive slave to sin. Believers can go to the fountain of God’s mercy and grace to be washed and cleansed in the blood of the Savior; be clothed in the perfect righteousness of His spotless white robe of purity and become whiter than snow; filled with the indwelling Holy Spirit and delivered from the bondage and addiction of sin. Only at the foot of the Cross is there hope, freedom and life anew for a sinful world. Surrender your life fully to God. By faith alone, come and find the truth and the love of Jesus Christ alone, and the life abundant and everlasting.

Psalm 51:7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
 
In Christ, Brian

No comments: