Thursday, July 23, 2015

Created


 Isaiah 43:7 Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.”

I read that there are three main verbs used to describe God’s work of creation in Genesis. These are “create” (Hebrew, bara), “make” (asah), and “form” (yatsar). The three words are similar in meaning but each with a slightly different emphasis. None of them, of course, can mean anything at all like “evolve,” or “change,” on their own accord. All three are used in Genesis with reference to man. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth … And God said, Let us make man in our image . . .  So God created man in his own image. . . . And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground” – Genesis 1:1; 1:26-27; 2:7.

Isaiah 45:18 “For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.”

All three verbs are used together in Isaiah in order to describe, adequately, God’s purposeful work in preparing the earth for man. God created, formed, made, and established the earth, that it might be the home of men and women. God created the earth for life to exist. The earth is “Anthropic”. But my devotional reading asks: What was God’s purpose for the people who would inhabit it? Our text answers this most fundamental of questions, and once again, all three key verbs are used: “I have created him . . . I have formed him . . . I have made him . . . for my glory.” This biblical perspective alone provides the greatest of all possible incentives to live a godly and useful life. The reason we were created is to glorify God!

WESTMINSTER SHORTER CATECHISM
Question: 1. What is the chief end of man?
Answer: Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.


He's got the whole world in His hands.
In Christ, Brian

No comments: