Wednesday, May 20, 2015

God's Sustaining Word



Psalm 119:81My soul longs for your salvation; I put my hope in your Word.” 

I love reading the Word of God and about the Word of God. Do we see the power of God’s holy Word to sustain the faith of His people? I read that the promises of God alone can give the children of God life. Not just the salvation from sin and death, but finding in the statutes and commandments of our most holy Creator, sustaining power when we are facing the roughest trials and tribulations. This divine revelation should not surprise us, because all Scripture is sufficient to prepare us for every good work, including the good work of perseverance (2 Timothy 3:16-17). This longing for rescuing salvation is evidence of persevering faith, for those of faith will continue to hope in the Savior. The longing for salvation flows from the hope in the Word of God.


Psalm 119:83b, 86-88I do not forget Your statutes; I did not forsake Your precepts. Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, so that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.

In whatever ways he was afflicted, his mind had not been distracted by various devices, because trusting in the Word of God, he never doubted of His assistance. We can by no means continue to believe in the promises of the Lord if we do not know what they are. We can persevere in faith only as we trust in the promises of God, turn to His Word for sustenance and remain steadfast in the love of our Father in Heaven. This life-giving power of Scripture is part of its very nature as the Spirit-breathed revelation of our eternal Creator. In addition to granting and sustaining life, sacred Scripture also reflects the steadfastness of our Maker. The Word of our Lord is forever. We rightly expect tomorrow to come, so we can rightly expect the promises of God to endure as well. Our life in glory will be an ongoing reminder of the Lord’s utter faithfulness to His promises, because the promises of God are firmly fixed according to the surety of God’s character. Divine truth lasts forever. 

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

In Christ , Brian

No comments: