Friday, January 16, 2015

Our Identity – Part 2


The first three beatitudes are the foundation attitudes to keep our hearts in alignment with God's heart. Blessed are the poor in Spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. However, our identity is not in the things of the earth. Jesus said: “I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by me” – John 14:6. Our assurance is that our identity is in Christ and that we know him personally. Our identity is not who we are, rather our identity is whose we are. For I was crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ liveth in me and the life that I now live, I live by faith in the son of God who loved me and gave himself for me – Galatians 2:20. Our filthy rags have been replaced with his robes of righteousness ...  though your sins be as scarlet, ye shall be as white as snow.  

We need not fear the darkness of the end of times...  of men and women who are lovers of self and haters of righteousness.  As the scripture says, "Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good" – Romans 12:21. For it is God which worketh in us to will and to do of His good pleasure – Philippians 2:13. Jesus asked Peter in John 21:17, "Lovest thou me with unconditional love?"  Peter answered, "I love you, I'm fond of you."  Jesus asked again, "do you love me unconditionally?" Peter answered again, "I'm fond of you."  Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep."  The master was teaching his disciple the meaning of unconditional love. However, Peter had not yet learned the meaning of the unconditional spiritual love of God in the renewed mind in manifestation. Peter could not love with a spiritual love until after the new birth, when he received a new spiritual nature. Through the spirit of the new birth, Peter knew and understood the meaning of unconditional love, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but of incorruptible, by the word of God which liveth and abideth forever – 1 Peter 1:23.

In this new year of 2015, we may pray for change.  However, in the words of Reinhold Niebuhr, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." There is only one person that I can change...  the man in the mirror. Therefore, be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God – Romans 12:2. Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things – Philippians 4:8.

May God richly bless you this new year as we walk in fellowship with Him and one with another in the household of faith, endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace.

Your brother in Christ,
Michael

No comments: