Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Fishers of Men


Matthew 4:17-19 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” And Jesus, walking by the Sea of Galilee, saw two brothers, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

When I read this Bible passage, many years ago, I realized that the eternal kingdom of heaven, and how to get from here to there was the central issue of the Savior.

The kingdom of heaven was not here on earth. John 18:36 Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

And Jesus Christ is the Way to the kingdom of heaven. John 14:5-6 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

But, the later half of that Matthew 4:17-19 passage spoke of, as redeemed Followers of Christ by faith, the Lord is identifying our part in the gospel Salvation of those that do not know the Lord or have never come to a saving knowledge of the Savior of the world. He has made us fishers of mankind, to take action and bring the whole Word of God to the whole world and advance the kingdom here and now. Christ’s mission to seek and save the lost is our mission also. Therefore go fisherman! The fishing is always good.  Tell others about Jesus and the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 28:18-20 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”


In Christ, Brian

No comments: