Sunday, July 20, 2014

Preaching the Word




2 Corinthians 4:5-6 For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.”  

Looking up the word “preaching” in the reliable 1828 Webster’s Dictionary, I found the word defined as “To preach Christ or Christ crucified, to announce Christ as the only Savior, and his atonement as the only ground of acceptance with God. To discourse on the gospel way of salvation and exhort to repentance; to discourse on evangelical truths and exhort to a belief of them and acceptance of the terms of salvation. This was the extemporaneous manner of preaching pursued by Christ and his apostles.”  Martin Luther, the Father of the Reformation, wrote: “When you are to preach, speak with God and say, ‘Dear Lord God, I wish to preach in Thine honor. I wish to speak about Thee, glorify Thee, and praise Thy name. Although I can’t do this well of myself, I pray that Thou mayest make it good.’” I read an article by Pastor Jon Payne, where he explained that faithful preaching must be about God, for the glory of God, and in utter dependence upon God. That the content of the preaching that we hear in church every week must be centered on the nature and works of our triune God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit).

Psalm 19:14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”
But Pastor Payne points out that Evangelical preaching today can often be shallow, therapeutic, and man-centered. It commonly lacks theological substance and gravitas (seriousness or sobriety). Entertaining popular music redefines worship, and personal stories, comical jokes and amusing anecdotes crowd sermons, leaving God as an after-thought. When worshipping “worshipping”, instead of God (as Pastor Tracy titles this style of church Service), as some sort of show is the focus, we lose sight of the main thing. The gospel, the grand theme of Scripture, is vague at best. We always need to make and keep “The Main Thing” (aka God), the main thing. Biblical preaching, however, is ways and unmistakably makes the triune God and His marvelous works of creation, providence, and redemption the main subject matter. God is the main subject of the Bible, and thus should be the central focus of preaching and teaching. We worship God for who He is.

Psalm 16:5-11 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.  I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol (the abode of the dead), or let your holy one see corruption. You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Pastor Payne points out that the Apostle Peter’s Pentecost sermon (Acts 2:14-41) boldly and skillfully directed the people’s attention to almighty God, His Holy Word, and the fulfillment of His redemptive purposes in Christ. That, in light of God’s mighty acts of judgment and salvation, Sinners need to turn from their rebellious ways and receive Jesus Christ (the Savior of the world) for the forgiveness of sins. Nothing will stir the heart of the church unto faith and obedience like the view of God in the preaching of His life-transforming Word.

2 Timothy 4:1-2I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

The pursuit of happiness truly is the pursuit of holiness.  

Glory and praise to God. In Christ, Brian

No comments: