Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Let It Go


Philippians 3:12-21 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.  Only let us hold true to what we have attained. Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.  But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.”

This last Sunday was the “soft launch” for our newly merged congregation here in Anaheim, California, in our first Sunday Worship Service as one. I wasn’t even expected to attend, due to flying home that morning from a ten day vacation back to the mid-West for a wedding and family reunion, but the plane landed early, the luggage appeared quickly and our friend picked us up at the airport and got me home in time to run over to the church for the historic Service. I’ve heard it said that the only thing that doesn’t change in life is the face that everything in life is going to change, but there is a quote by an unknown author that goes: “I know not what tomorrow holds, but I know Who holds tomorrow. I think that this is what Jesus was communicating when He said in Matthew 6:31a 33-34 “Do not be anxious, but seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble” and by the notes that I took, the point of Pastor Kyle’s first Sermon message to us also.
Proverbs 29:18 says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.” Vision dictates direction. Pastor’s two visions of our church are (1) Internal – “What is God working in me?” and “Where am I go?“ (2) Externally – “How does God what me to reach others with the love of Christ today?” These are the targets for our journey to glory, as Christianity is not a religion but a relationship with our Creator God – children of God, with citizenship in the kingdom of heaven, with His purposes for our life. Author Max Lucado wrote in his book titled Fearless, “Contrary to what we’d hope, good people aren’t exempt from violence. Murderers don’t give the godly a pass. Rapists don’t vet victims according to spiritual résumés. The bloodthirsty and wicked don’t skip over the heaven-bound. We aren’t insulated. But neither are we intimidated. Jesus has a word or two about this brutal world: “Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul” (Matt. 10:28). Feed your fears, and your faith will starve. Feed your faith, and your fears will.” You may have heard word fear can be broke down into the acronym “False Evidence Appearing Real”, but as Lucado points out, there are scary people and things in this fallen and sinful world, but we are to face reality and embrace faith instead of fear, as we know that is at work and God presses on. The Cross (the gospel of Jesus Christ) is a story about defeating sin and death. The Bible gives us a direct from Jesus on that Cross in Luke 22:44 when the Holy Scriptures  tells us: “And being in agony, He (Jesus) prayed more earnestly. 

John 14:1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.”
Pastor Kyle sees two declarations by these words of the Lord. (1) One day I won’t be afraid of my current situation anymore. But, why not make it today; believing and trusting that God is in complete control? (2) I will let go of fear and worry by unconditionally trusting God. 2 Timothy 1:7 declares; “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” Fear is losing sight and not trusting God, and with not trusting God then we have other problems in our life. The Bible states, and our lives confirm, that in this life, we let go of fears and worries yesterday, but today there are new fears and worries to let go of, with new ones on the horizon for tomorrow. In John 16:33 The Lord explains: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Psalm 94:21-22 They gather together against the life of the righteous,
and condemn innocent blood.
 But the Lord has been my defense, and my God the rock of my refuge.”

Obeying God is trusting God to do what He says He will do. The Sovereign Almighty Creator and Lord of all is the loving Rock of our salvation and refuge in this chaotic world, so we can embrace faith; not fear. Just as the old sayings goes: “It’s like water on a duck.” because “If we go down, we go up!” When it comes to fear, worry and anxiety, God extends the invitation to “Let it go” and embrace faith. Our unconditional trust is our gift back to God. The cold never bothered me anyway.
 
In Christ, Brian

2 comments:

Ken said...

Hi Brian. Fear and worry is something I have battled with over the years. One thing I have found out, nothing good has ever came out of my worries, instead they cost me in some way. I have to give thanks to God because I have grown in this area. Great post and God bless.
Ken

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks for the great comment Ken, and I believe that we all struggle with fear this side of heaven. We see and understand fearlessness in Christ, but react to people and events in the fear of hurt in the flesh. Jesus said "Fear Not" because we do. Growing is an excellent term to use in focusing on faith, not fear. Great point thanks.