Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Faith Conquers Fear


Mark 4:35-41 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.” Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling. But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?” Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?” And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”

My Friday evening Small Group Bible Study has started a new series on breaking free from fear’s bondage. Daily life is filled with all sorts of fearful things … the economy, natural disaster, calamities and tragedies in the world, terrorism, wars and violent crimes. Not to mention jobs, investments, politics, homes and relationships too. How do we free ourselves from the grip of fear and the accompanying stress that takes a toll on our lives physically, emotionally and mentally? Fear can be paralyzing, confusing, wreaking havoc in our body and mind. Did you know that stress from fear can reduce your life expectancy by as much as 10 years?

2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

I remember watching a video series by Christian Family Psychologist Gary Smalley, where he explained that the disciples in the Bible passage above had nothing to fear because Jesus was in the boat and told them that we were crossing over the lake to the other side. They needed to have faith that despite the current fearful circumstances, when the Lord promises something, then it is going to happen. Dr. Smalley said that the disciples should have been swinging from the ropes and singing songs in that storm because Jesus said that they would make it to the other side. When we face life-threatening situations, fear is natural. We live in a body of sensual flesh, which shrinks from pain and runs from death. Yet, fear is to be harnessed by faith … by remembering that Jesus is there and in control. Faith conquers fear. Put your trust in the Lord of all.


 Psalm 23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are  with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.


In Christ, Brian

No comments: