Saturday, December 28, 2013

Retired


Psalm 92:13-15Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.

I have always thought it interesting that many of the English “Surnames”, our family’s last name, especially the ones with occupational origins. Taylor, Wagner, Fischer, Smith, Baker, Thatcher, Hunter, Tanner, Mason, Barber, Carpenter, Cook, Gardener, Turner, and even Todd, indicated the family line of business, craft or trade. In that case, I guess that I am truly Brian, the Scotch-Irish “Fox Hunter” by surname profession. But, I wonder how few and far between we find folks actually involved in the occupations today which their surname represents? I’m sure that there are some, but seem rare today. Some of these occupations have changed or gone away as time and technology advanced also. But, even more common, is that people today choose their occupation, not on family business, but on their personality, their talents, their education field, their dreams, desires and likes. Oh, I know that there are plenty that have to take whatever work that they can find to make ends meet, and many that are in a job that they do not like, just to pay the bills and provide food, clothes and a roof over their head too, as the breadwinner.

I did not hunt foxes; never have or will, so in a way, you could say that I am a Todd in name only … a nominal Todd as far as the family business. But, I did follow in the footsteps of my father for my occupation and profession. My dad, after serving in the US Navy during both World War 2 & the Korean War, worked his entire career at the American telecommunications company AT&T. Growing up, I always wanted to be a “telephone man”, just like my father. I think that it is pretty common for a young boy to be like his dad; at least for me it was, so I chose that profession early on in life. I went to work for American Telephone and Telegraph Company in Southern California (Pacific Telephone and Telegraph company), just one week after graduating from High School and have been there my entire almost 39 year career, developing a skill and putting my knowledge, ability and expertise for this craft into practice daily. But, yesterday, I packed up and walked out the door for the last time, leaving behind the occupation and profession that defined my vocation to others all those years. We plan and build a “nest egg” for the day that we can stop working our job or career because we have reached an age and financial secure enough to where you do not need or want to work at that particular job anymore; better known as “retirement”. Now, some new young person starting their career has an employment opportunity for that telecommunications trade position and an ability to make a livelihood by the vacancy.

John 1:12-13 “As many as received Him (Jesus Christ), to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”

Surnames may have defined the family occupations in the past, but didn’t define “family”. Likewise, our jobs and career positions today also define “what we do”, but not “who we are”. In the family of God, the name “Christian” is not defined by what we do, but by what God did by sending His only begotten Son Jesus Christ to take our place and pay the price for sin in propitiation’s redemption and salvation for all those who repent, believe and receive Him. The child of God carries the family name, trusting and obeying our Creator Father in heaven, but is also in the “family business” of redemption, salvation and love. We proclaim, teach and defend the faith by (1) What we believe., (2) Why we believe it., (3) How we live it., and (4) How we share it. The kingdom of God is our family home and our profession.
I retired from my career trade, but will never retire from my family and name here. The next chapter of life begins. 

Isaiah 46:4Even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; Even I will carry, and will deliver you.


In Christ, Brian

6 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

Congratulations and best wishes for the next phase.

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thanks UGP. That phase is not clear yet, but I have time to prayerfully consider the options. One thing is for sure though, ministry increases. Glory be to God! Happy New Year.

Nancy said...

Once again you nailed it! We never really "retire" from God's work here on earth! We can be used in all stages of our journey, right? We entered that retirement stage 3 years ago and have been enjoying our "freedom" from the daily grind. But I am restless in finding where God would have me go or what He would desire me to do now....PRAYER...that is what I have been doing; asking Him to walk before me guiding me where I am to go next. Thank you for your thoughts and for your insight! Blessings

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thank you Nancy for the great comments. I like what you said: "We can be used in all stages of our journey." Used by the One Sovereign Lord God who spoke Creation into existence to touch the lives and the planet with love and care aligned with His purposes and for His glory. You bring up the search that we all look to the Lord in prayer for direction in: "finding where God would have me go or what He would desire me to do." Both involve "action" with "purpose". What's next in this abundant life? I can't wait to get started! Blessings sister.

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
From what I hear retirement leaves one busier then they ever were when they were working. :)

Praying this next book in life will be filled with God and lots of fun, new adventures.

Blessings brother,
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thank you sister. Same book, next chapter. Always blessed.