Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation


Psalm 25:1  In you, Lord my God, I put my trust.

From my small “Book of Common Prayer”, titled simply: “Campaign Prayer Book” published in 1897, that I discovered this last year in an Antique story, I now turn to the inside of the front cover to find written the words to the song: “The Star  Spangled Banner” by Francis Scott Key 1814.

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

It is interesting that we sing the first verse of the national anthem of the United States of America from childhood, but never the last verse. In this time when we stop to recognize the freedom and liberty of this country, may we be sure to give praise and glory to God, who gave it to us and maintains it by His grace.

Psalm 86:2-3 Guard my life, for I am faithful to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God; have mercy on me, Lord, for I call to you all day long.

 
In God We Trust!

In Christ, Brian

2 comments:

Larri said...

I read your blog title & immediately knew which song you were referring! In high school & college, I had the privilege of singing the National Anthem at the opening of many sports & civic events. Thankfully, our vocal director insisted we sing both the 1st & last verses of the Anthem. I am grateful to have those words instilled in my patriotic heart. We are blessed to live in the USA & we must always remember WHY we are an independent nation. Our Founding Fathers believed God would lead us to freedom. We must never forget.

Happy Independence Day, Brian! Blessings on your day!

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thank you Larri. What a blessing to have such a vocal director and to be able to sing both verses of the National Anthem. They are there for a reason and that is The God of the Bible that this nation was founded upon. Nobody changes that, or pretends that it isn't true because the reality is that this is Creator God's nation. May we never allow this one nation under God to cease being the land of the free because we ceased being the home of the brave. Happy Independence Day sister. Blessings.