Sunday, May 12, 2013

Blessed Mother's Day



Proverbs 31:28Her children rise up and call her blessed.”

I've heard that the word “happy” is translated as the word “blessed” in the Bible, so I looked up the definition in my Strong’s Dictionary of Bible words and found this to be true. The Hebrew word is μακάριος – “makarios” and means “very happy!” in the physical, spiritual and emotional sense. Setting aside one special day a year to specifically recognize and celebrate the woman that carried us, that gave us birth and life, that nurtured and raised us with unconditional love and one-of-a-kind care is honorable and appropriate. But I feel that the love and respect produced goes beyond the word “happy” to the deeper definition of “blessed”. Are we not “blessed” by our mothers?

Psalm 139:13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.

I tragically lost my mother in the Fall of 2001 and the void left in my heart cannot be filled. I was truly blessed and knew it, so wouldn't want that void to be filled either. Nothing can replace the priceless time and memories that I have of her. We tend to take for granted the time and relationship that we have with our mothers, not realizing the blessed moments and memories that we have and continue to make every day that we have with them. How often we see and hear the emotional words of opportunity lost the day that they go to be with the Lord? Don’t miss a moment! And may this day that we stop to recognize our moms with our best, also be a day that we stop and think about everything she means to us and thank our Heavenly Father for giving her to us. May we know what we have and take advantage of the days that we have left to demonstrate our true love for her and Him for the countless blessings in our life directly from them. We are blessed with mothers. Blessed Mother’s Day to you and yours!
Genesis 3:20 And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.
In Christ, Brian

6 comments:

Larri said...

Great post, Brian! Yes, I am doubly blessed...once for my Momma, and also for being called to the ministry of Motherhood.

Hold onto the precious memories of your Mother. I imagine you draw on her examples of gracious living almost every day, whether or not you realize it. :)

Denise said...

This touches my heart my friend; I am missing my Mama terribly (always hits me hard on this special day!)I lost her (my best friend!) in 1999, and she will always be in my heart, and encourage and inspire me. Thankfully I am left behind with two precious daughters who are so precious to me!

Thanks for this lovely tribute to Mother's!
Denise

Brian Ray Todd said...

You are doubly blessed as a daughter and a mother, but also triply blessed by the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The secret is to know it, trust it and habitually live it out daily. When we walk in the Spirit, fruit that the world cannot produce nor provide flows like living water in our lives because our hearts desires are aligned with the Lord's. I do cherish the memories of my dearly departed mother and carry them with me always. I wrote to her prior to her death that "everyday, I see more and more of her in me." Because of those similarities, I am sometimes called by family as "Dolores", when I do what she did. I see that as an honor. Thank you Larri for the nice comment.

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thank you Denise for sharing about your mother. We share that loss together and I'm happy that your mama was such a great blessing in your life as well. The world changed, in my perspective, the day that my mom died and has never been the same. Isn't that the sign of a true mother/child love relationship as God intended. I am delighted that you cherish your daughters and see the urgency of a deep love relationship filled with quality time together. Our moms taught us that. How blessed we are! Thank you for write, my friend and sister.

child of God said...

Hi Brian,
Nobody can replace a mother. The love and understanding she has for her children is something that not even the father can understand.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom and the void in your heart. I can relate as I too don't have my mom anymore and that void grows deeper everyday as I grow to understand just how much she loved me.

May your memory of your mom grow brighter every day and may your love for her grow deeper.

Blessings brother,
<><

Brian Ray Todd said...

Thank you Child of God, as 11 yr. old Grace Evans asked: What parent do I not need, my mom or my dad? Not only for pro-creation but also for our balanced up-bringing through what each gender contributes to the family. It was so important to God that He made this commandment in Exodus 20:12
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you." May we never take for granted God's perfect design for the family. I would not trade a second of the time that I had with my mother, but sadly many don't know what they got till it's gone and miss the chance of a lifetime and end up saying: "What happened?". There are no replacements, just distractions that rob us from making the most of our parent/child relationships. Before we can beware, we must first be aware. Love you mothers. Hug them, kiss them and tell them how much you love them. I'm sorry for your lose, but you and I have them in our hearts.